https://rhn.redhat.com/help/contact.pxt

Thank you again for using Red Hat Linux, and for your continued
    support of the Open Source community.

--the Red Hat Network team
    #

Here is some futher links
    http://www.redhat.com/index2.html
    http://www.redhat.com/mktg/rh9iso/

So it seems that the name Redhat 8.1(Which has been in beta testing for a while under the name Phoebe) has been skipped and the new version will be called 9 instead Although I am not sure on there motives for going straight to 9, I am looking forward to the release

Yea, I noticed that on Red Hat's website earlier today.. That's kinda weird I think, because 8.0 just came out fairly recently... But at that, it's something to look forward to anyway.. Linux ISO, www.linuxiso.org, has Red Hat 8.1 beta available for download, but I guess you are right - they are moving on to version 9 instead of 8.1... Cool deal, can't wait...
    - Maverick

Would doing updates with red hat network update my box from RH 8.0 to 9.0?
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Hrmm. I doubt it would update all the way from 8 to 9 but I'm curious as to whether they will fix some of the problems that 8 presented. I'll have to find a way to burn some copies.. Damn burner is down. =P
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Well, with the release of 8, they incorporated the rhn_register and up2date programs so it's easier than before (although you still have to install the gpg key). If you have 8 and you have a paid subscription (I do and I'm updating!), then just run 'up2date -u' and you should be relatively "updated" although there might be things added that 8 doesn't have that would be missed, of course.

If you feel up to it, go edit /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date, change it so you can download the kernel files (or run up2date --configure), let it do it's thing, then reboot.

Reason I say this is, what's being provided in 9 that can't be fixed with an rpm update? 8's got a journaled filesystem (ext3) and just about everything you'd need...all on a stable level. I haven't had many of the problems with 8 like some have had so for me to switch, there'd have to be quite the feature list of things I'd actually care about.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Computer Forensics
    8.0.94 is the current beta for 8.1 or was supposed to be.... but they are jumping..... 9 is indeed going to be the next version.....its to keep up with the version # race that seems to be taking place in linux.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Thanks for that info, I nomally do run up2date and include the kernal updates, I love to be on the bleed edge, so I'll most likely do an upgrade if up2date doesn't do it for me. MsMittens with your burner being down, you might just want to do a network install. Jus 'til you get it fixed.

PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

hmmmm

i wonder if they fixed this problem mentioned in this post

im sure they would have to right??????

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Eh. I'll get a friend to burn it for me. I'm a klutz at times and will probably blow something up if I do a network install. Plus I have limited disk space (and am cheap!). Anyways, it's good to have disks.

As for RHN, that was first --brokenly-- included with 7.1, fixed and used in 7.3. I use it and have a paid subscription. Nice little feature. One of their better ones -- better than Windows Update IMHO. But while it updates patches, I don't think it will update the whole OS. You'll get newer kernels to a degree but I don't know if they'll go whole hog. I want to upgrade to the newer Gnome but I just dread having to bring down all those files, compiling them one after another and then installing and praying I didn't miss something.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Antionline Herpetologist
    What I would be interested in is to see if RH 9 changed the default filesystem to ReiserFS. From what I've seen and read, ReiserFS seems to be superior to ext3.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com