Thread: Visual Basic ?

Visual Basic ?

Was wondering if any body had some general information or a link on what Visual Basic can do with exisiting Windows applications.

Had a question about a software product (Unimessage Pro) I support and how it might interact with Visual Basic. I am guessing that the user wants to add additional options to the software. But I have a limited background on how Visual Basic works..

Please advise. If anybody needs more info please let me know. Thanks...

Banned
    Visual Basic has excellent access to the windows subsystem. I am sure there are API's you can use to enhance the application. Consult with the product info, or mfg.

What exactly do you mean by API's? Thanks for the reply...

An API (application programming interface) is a way in which you, the programmer, can interact with the OS or other applications. For example, say I wanted to get some data from an INI file - I could use a component of the Windows API to gather that data from the INI file..

Here are some links which I think you'll find useful:

MSDN Reference:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...rwhatisapi.asp

AllAPI: (although not currently being updated, still a good site)
    http://www.allapi.net/

I have used both of these in the past and found them to be very helpful...
    - Maverick

Thanks Maverick811. Good info...

Re: Visual Basic ?

Originally posted here by rdsxcru
    Was wondering if any body had some general information or a link on what Visual Basic can do with exisiting Windows applications.

Had a question about a software product (Unimessage Pro) I support and how it might interact with Visual Basic. I am guessing that the user wants to add additional options to the software. But I have a limited background on how Visual Basic works..

Please advise. If anybody needs more info please let me know. Thanks...
    In order to do anything with Visual Basic you'll of course have to know how to write/modify Visual basic programs. Do you have any experience with VB or any other programming language? Even without any experience VB is pretty easy to learn and if you have VB questions here is a good place to get answers.
    - Runner -