Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: trouble

Unhappy trouble

i have a P4 1.6 GHZ with DSL conection at 128 kbps but it´s running at 33kbps i scaned with mcafee and it finds a lot of infected files in the RESTORE folder but it can´t clean delete or anything, i try to remove the folder but it´s impossible...
    what should i do?? i don´t want to format

Possibility

Check your mcafee folder to make sure the restore folder is not the quarentine zone, this would explain why there is a concentration.

DSL lines can be temperamental and you never get full bandwidth (especially at peak times)

Try visiting cnet and clocking a download. This gives a good idea of how quick your connected.

P.S I know this is dumb but mcafee actually slows down your connection in some cases. Try disabling it and browsing some safe sites to see if this is the case.

REMEMBER TO RE ENABLE IT because their are tonnes of malicious wee shites out there.

er0k
    hrm... virii don't normally affect your connection "speed" if you are connected at all, you get the speed of the connection, which is your isps problem, i agree with mark_boyle2002 and would have to say just delete the infected files, and go on with it. DSL providers will always say "O yeah youll get this speed or that speed" but really what you get depends on how close you are to the provider, and how many subscribers their are.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Have you tried disconnecting from the Internet, scanning with removal options on your virus scanner?

And what OS is this?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

no delete

i cant´t delete either the files or the directory

i scaned with mcafee and it finds a lot of infected files in the RESTORE folder but it can´t clean delete or anything
    Are you running XP? If so, do a manual backup of your system setting, important files, etc.

The restore folder is just for the operating system to save current changes to for the "rollback feature".

If you stop the system restore service via admin toolls/services... It'll dump the system restore folders contents.
    You can then do a scan to make sure that the viruses are gone.

Then start the system restore service again to start the restore feature fresh and free of viruses.

WARNING: When you stop the system restore service, all rollback savings are lost...
    Just make sure you backup if you take this method. Again, I believe that is only with XP Pro (not sure about home, as I don't use it).... and maybe ME(not sure, wouldn't be caught using it).

i have a P4 1.6 GHZ with DSL conection at 128 kbps but it´s running at 33kbps i scaned with mcafee and it finds a lot of infected files in the RESTORE folder but it can´t clean delete or anything, i try to remove the folder but it´s impossible...
    What OS are you running? a 9x variant, 2000, XP? Also, what virus is being reported? Some possibilites:

1. Go to McAffe's web site and see how to manually remove the virus and get as much information as possible on the infection routines of the virus. This is important because different virii have different infection and stealth routines (if any).

2. The virus scanner may not be able to delete the files in the restore folder because the files are either in use or the contents have system, administrator, or read-only attributes. Change the attributes, kill the process using the restore folder or its contents and run the scan again. (This depends on the OS)

3. In Windows 2000/XP, run the recovery console and manually delete the files in the RESTORE folder. More information here: http://www.theeldergeek.com/recovery_console.htm all information within this folder will be lost.

Hope this helps

Freejack, most these guys (including me) will be more then happy to help, but please give us more detail about your system. Each OS is different, and needs to be handled differently.
    Because I am a woman, I must make unusual efforts to succeed. If I fail, no one will say, "She doesn't have what it takes"; They will say, "Women don't have what it takes".
    Clare Boothe Luce

Another website you could test your speed on would be DSL Reports

Also are you running any P2P services such as Kazza Mozilla, ect. if you are then that could slow you down. For example in Kazaa unless you disable sharing of files, people will download off of you and slow you connection speed down.

And more detail like what techtech said would also be very helpful.

ME

my OS is win ME (the PC is not mine, don´t be laughing)
    thanx a lot for your help