Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great security guides worth checking out.

Great security guides worth checking out.

These guides are fantastic. They are definitely worth checking out.

http://www.nsa.gov/snac/index.html

cheers

Looks pretty interesting.. I am checking the pdf files now.
    Maybe im to paranoid but there is no way in hell i would ever install an inf file from the nsa though. But again, maybe Im just super paranoid
    Violence breeds violence
    we need a world court
    not a republican with his hands covered in oil and military hardware lecturing us on world security!

Nice reads.
    Thanks for posting that link dude.

Thumbs up

NSA!! cool! No way i'm downloading or installing them.

This is BIG BROTHER'S BAD ASS better known as No Such Agency

Banned
    great pdf's but everyone's right when they say that you'd have to be crazy to download any suspicious filetype from the nsa or any other government agency.

lol... br fusion u sure ur not from the nsa trying to infiltriate innocent hakers comps..
    probably though the nsa or some other gov agency has some sort of program compiled into windows...thats why u should make ur own OS!!!!
    The God of the Drow

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    CyberSpyder: What exactly is "suspicious" about a file with the extension .inf. You use them every time you install a new device. The .inf file holds the information needed. You can open a .inf in notepad..... It's plain text.

Download the .inf from the nsa and take a look with notepad. It is simply a set of registry changes that you could go into the local security policy manager and change for yourself. But the .inf will make it a whole lot quicker........
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

I got these a while ago, they are pretty sweet, but.....has ne one installed any of the security templates yet?? I haven't really had a chance to look the files over well enough to install any of them yet. Please post if you have installed em...Thanx
    "It is a shame that stupidity is not painful" - Anton LaVey

Good stuff, I'm getting into some of the PDF's now.

[i] Originally posted This is BIG BROTHER'S BAD ASS better known as No Such Agency
    Just found this kinda oxymoronic. If its "No such agency" why would they have a URL on a .gov website.

Originally posted here by Wazz
    I got these a while ago, they are pretty sweet, but.....has ne one installed any of the security templates yet?? I haven't really had a chance to look the files over well enough to install any of them yet. Please post if you have installed em...Thanx
    I checked these out when XP first came out. I also utilized there win 2k files, they are pretty secure, but don't do anything a security administrator wouldn't normally do. If you are somewhat new to the field, or looking at your home system they are good profiles. They basically fallow the best practices set out by MS with a few tweaks, from what I can tell there are no odd permissions or anything along those lines to give the NSA access to your system.

From what I can tell the original intent for these was to give Gov. sysadmins with no security background a chance at a secure xp box. Note these give you local and LAN security you still need a firewall and IDS for WAN security and an AVS would be a good idea.