Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Back your country up

Originally posted here by Worm Wood
    ummm ok ill bite, can u provide a link the the exception?
    ummm the delegates get there by election dont they? and once again where does southern corruption comes in? can u at least provide an example? i wont bother asking for a crediable link.
    You could learn US history. I understand that living in Texas means you got a very substandard education but as a right winger I figured you would be all about private education.
    here are the Jackson links I was mistaken in one thing...it was Adams that had the presidency given to him by the house not Jackson. Also note that all of this is completely constitutional, if no one gets 50% of the electoral college votes the House picks the winner (find your own link to the constitution) I am assuming that you have at least heard of the constitution, I don't expect you to know it considering you are a right winger and all.
    http://www.multied.com/elections/1824.html
    http://www.americanpresident.org/history/andrewjackson/

As for Southern corruption well putting police blockades outside of poling places in black communities reeks of corruption...Also note that Chicago isn't the only place that the dead vote
    (I would give you links to news reports of both of these occurrences, but seeing as they didn't come from Rush you probably wouldn't believe them.)

as for my california statement, i never said what cali was, left or right, just that i dont argue with them due to the fact that they dont live in the same world as everyone else.
    the leftist was meant to be aimed at berkly area. they do seem to be the loudest. and i actully rank as a moderate conservative, and i live in texas. so i am as far south as u can get.
    and backlash is a fact, it happens on both side, not just the right or left. one side gains a distinctive advantage, and something happens that causes resntment and the other sides gains power from the back lash that follows. and a movement is born that swings the balance of power slowly at first, but by the time we have equalibrium, there is to much momentum to stop, and it continues to swing untill the populace gets dissatisied with it and beagins to rebel, and the pattern repeats. normaly the backlash in america is minumal due to the fact the ppl have a say in govt. in other countries it can be bloody. currently i think we are starting to move past the equlibrium into the left. [/B]
    This I would agree with it seems unfortunately with each swing of the great political pendulum those of us in the middle get more and more marginalized.

tsk tsk tsk, all those personal attacks, and still with out a good point.

actully i know a great deal of us history, but i apologize for not learning about EVERY exception that has ever happened.
    still dosent prove your point. or vipers, he wasnt elected by the supreme court, and he steal the election, and ive heard some ppl meantion police barricades, but i have never seen one, and yes there are quite a few blacks where i live, even more hispanics. and im still trying to figure out what u mean by "southern corruption". yes a lot of dead ppl do vote, for both sides, but once again, since the pop vote dosent matter, dead ppl voting, nader, and police barricades would have not changed it at all. seems the founding fathers didnt trust the public all that much.

so all you done was clear up a blanket statement made by me by quoting a little known historical abnormailty that has happened once in 200 years. it didnt help your case in th eleast, so u descend down to biased and personal attacks based on nothing more than the fact im from texas. how sad.
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a night.
    Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Yeah i think the protestors mean well, but it's the nuts that give them a bad name.
    Now get off your bum and download it! www.linuxISO.com

tsk tsk tsk, all those personal attacks, and still with out a good point.

actully i know a great deal of us history, but i apologize for not learning about EVERY exception that has ever happened.
    still dosent prove your point. or vipers, he wasnt elected by the supreme court, and he steal the election, and ive heard some ppl meantion police barricades, but i have never seen one, and yes there are quite a few blacks where i live, even more hispanics. and im still trying to figure out what u mean by "southern corruption". yes a lot of dead ppl do vote, for both sides, but once again, since the pop vote dosent matter, dead ppl voting, nader, and police barricades would have not changed it at all. seems the founding fathers didnt trust the public all that much.

so all you done was clear up a blanket statement made by me by quoting a little known historical abnormailty that has happened once in 200 years. it didnt help your case in th eleast, so u descend down to biased and personal attacks based on nothing more than the fact im from texas. how sad.
    You are calling the presidential election of 1824..hell any presidential election a littel know historical abnormailty...ike its meaningless...wow I realy worry about the people of this country some times...on another note there was a number of presidents that where never elceted president...most of them where VP of presidents who died, and there was one president that was never elected to any public office. So no the electoral college note decideing the president isn't a new thing.

as for southern corpution I wont go into the recent past at all for this one, Ken Lay not being prosecuted, Arkansaw state police acting as Pimps for the govener, Road blocks outside of polling places in black negberhoods in Florida...The daed voteing in Florida....This is realy too easy.

I think the fact that you are from texas is a good reason to question your knowlage...one of the worst school systems in the country with scores at or below the national average, most students bearly acheving rather easy standards, and not many exceeding them.

http://nces.ed.gov/nationsreportcard/states/profile.asp

Note that its not the worst...but thats a southern state also.

I would suggest you also study how the electoral college gets put into place. Each states pop vote decides who's delegates are sent to the electoral college...so I guess the pop vote dose matter. (Unfortunately the electoral college slants things away from urban areas a little )

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    Some reflections on the last presidential election

When half of the people eligible to register, register. When half of the people who are registered vote, allowing for perfect weather on election day. The people get the government that they deserve.

How can a senior citizen in Florida can handle 10 bingo cards at once but then have trouble lining up a punch ballot?
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

[QUOTE] Originally posted here by bballad

You are calling the presidential election of 1824..hell any presidential election a littel know historical abnormailty...ike its meaningless...wow I realy worry about the people of this country some times...on another note there was a number of presidents that where never elceted president...most of them where VP of presidents who died, and there was one president that was never elected to any public office. So no the electoral college note decideing the president isn't a new thing.

as for southern corpution I wont go into the recent past at all for this one, Ken Lay not being prosecuted, Arkansaw state police acting as Pimps for the govener, Road blocks outside of polling places in black negberhoods in Florida...The daed voteing in Florida....This is realy too easy.

I think the fact that you are from texas is a good reason to question your knowlage...one of the worst school systems in the country with scores at or below the national average, most students bearly acheving rather easy standards, and not many exceeding them.

I would suggest you also study how the electoral college gets put into place. Each states pop vote decides who's delegates are sent to the electoral college...so I guess the pop vote dose matter. (Unfortunately the electoral college slants things away from urban areas a little )
    [/QUOTE

all that and still not a valid point.

let see. first thing first.

umm no, im calling the manner the president was elected, being appointed by the house, a historical abnormality. kinda like the last one going to the supreme court is historacly, an abnormality. if i stated that elections were an abnormality, pleae point out where, because i cant seem to recall.

ken lays decision not to be prosocuted is not exactly southern corruption, its money and politics, same as is everywhere else, im sure if i cared to waste my time i could find some from northern states. and all u can provide is one, not very convincing. as for the other things u mentioned, could u perhaps provide a link explaing the pimping of cops. and dade county.

back to the personal attacks. hmmmm oddly enough, despite my southern education, according to the national testing stuff i took i never scored below the 95% mark in my test. the school i went to wasnt great, but we were used as a testing ground for new test and projects.
    and according to the us military, i rank in the top 99%. also, having talked to ppl as part of my job every day from all over the country, i can say that by far the stupiedst ppl i talk to are from the chicago area. i get calls from there from ppl who cant even read. and not just once either. and while goign on national averages....statisticly, blacks score lower on just about everything except for drug test. does this mean if u are black, no one should listen to you? or should be able to criticize you for being black? and another thing ure average dosent show, alot of students here cant speak english very well. we have a such a large pop. of imigrants here its sad. the local elem. shcool here(in the houston area) has 1000 students, 800 are hispanic, 500 still cant speak english. of course we cant do anything about that but send them to ESL, but they still have to take the test. and chicagos schools arent that impressive either. u dont rate that much higher than texas, plus texas is graded in 4 areas, ill. only has 2. and also, the problem is texases education system is the way its implemented. not going into details, but anyone who has been in it knows what im talking about.

UN inspections did a great job of disarming North Korea...oh no...wait...they've got nukes now.

So if 1824 was a little known one time abnormality what do you call the Ford presidancey?
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

a mistake?, and if im not misatken, and i might be, those links you gave point to the democratic parties nomination of a presidential contender, not who won the office.

*cough* taken from the link u gave me.

Jackson ran for the presidency in 1824, losing to John Quincy Adams in an election so close it was thrown to the House of Representatives. Jackson had actually won the popular vote and thus saw himself as the people's choice. But Speaker of the House Henry Clay threw his support to John Quincy Adams, sealing the election for Adams. Soon afterward, Clay was named secretary of state. Convinced that a "corrupt bargain" lay at the heart of Adams's victory, Jackson determined to topple the old Eastern establishment. His struggle, he said, was over the very nature of the presidency. Did it belong to the privileged few, as it had almost de facto from the beginning, or did it belong, as he believed, to a much wider America? In 1828, four times as many voters as ever before came out to cast their ballot. This time, Jackson won by a landslide, gaining more than two-thirds of all the electoral votes in a stunning defeat for Adams, the aloof Easterner. As the seventh President of the United States, Jackson promised to turn over government to the common man.

hmmm jackson won the pop, but lost the electorial. hmmm sound familir. gee guess it has happened before. as for ford, it was another abnormality, he was appointed as a VP to nixon after VP agnew resigned, then 8 months later nixon resigned making him the pres, withough having to be elcted.

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    The Ford presidency wasn't an abnormality. The process in which Ford became president is right out of high school civics. Spiro Agnew, the standing Vice President, had to leave office after pleading Nolo Contendere for tax evasion. He was replaced by Gerry Ford. Ford was nominated by Richard Nixon and ratified by the Congress.

Later on when Nixon resigned, the Vice President, Ford, became the president.

What would have been really interesting was that before Ford could get Nelson Rockefeller installed as Vice President, there were two assasination attempts on his life. Without a vice president, the presidency would have gone to the Democratic speaker of the house, Carl Albert, had either of those attempts been successful.

The constitutional succession process is fascinating.

If you think the Bush/Gore election was a mess with the Supreme Court involved, what do you think would have happenned if neither scored the required electoral college majority. It would have gone back to the states with each state getting to cast 1 vote, which would not have to reflect the popular vote of that state. do you think that would have been better or politically cleaner?
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot