Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I feel like killing my mouse!

I feel like killing my mouse!

I hate to stem off one of my older threads, but i have to bring this to a conclusion. Ok, my other thread was about how i was unable to get SuSE to save my mouse settings. Instronics, had the answer.
    Reformating linux will fix this, but its not the right way. Best thing is just get to a shell and type in sax2. That will configure the mouse in no time.
    However this darn thing just wont take any orders. I have reinstalled countless times, I have run sax2 countless times(logging in as root and non-root) just to see if it would remember the settings by my doing so. After running sax2 the mouse will work instantly,however, whenever i boot back up the mouse is frozen.

Then i read a post of Trust_Not_123, where he stated the following.

linux writes its boot loader to the boot record, not the partition. so when you format partitions the boot record isnt touched.
    I'm not sure if this even makes sense, but could this be why after reinstalling SuSE it is still refusing to remember my mouse settings? Is there something else i need to write over to ensure that when i reinstall all traces of the previous installations are removed? Like i said i have reinstalled more than three times (and yes im choosing the correct device as far as the mouse in concerned) and it is still not budging.

I'm not sure if this even makes sense, but could this be why after reinstalling SuSE it is still refusing to remember my mouse settings?
    I don't think that is it. The boot loader just tells the PC where to find the OS.

If it works after you run the sax2 command... y not just run it at startup as a script?

I know that doesn't fix your problem... but it is a solution to doctor it up.

Can you point me to a site, so that i can figure out how to get or make this script. I don't know much about scripts. Appreciate the help.

Here is the article on TechTV that is pretty user friendly. Google came up with more than enough to get started.

Hi there,

Can you post it your XF86Config ..
    Not an image or image does not exist!
    Not an image or image does not exist!

What kind of mouse do you have??

for a wheel mouse on the ps2 port you should have something like this in the /etc/X11/XF86Config

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Mouse0"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "off"
    Option "Buttons" "5"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

if you have some other mouse, like an usb mouse etc.. you should have another /dev

usualy the /dev/mouse works well enough
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

"for a wheel mouse on the ps2 port you should have something like this in the /etc/X11/XF86Config "

Yes i have a PS/2 compatible wheel mouse. I went to /etc/X11/XF86Config as root but it told me permission denied. So i went back as limited and it said the same thing.

My F2 and cntrl-alt-F2 won't work and from what ive been told they should work in KDE. I booted in linux safe mode and typed in xf86config, it told me that the xf86config file is usually located in /usr/X11R6/etc/X11 or in /etc/X11.
    When i went back and entered /usr/X11R6/etc/X11 it said this directory doesnt exist, but when i entered /etc/X11(I added /XF86Config on each of them) it said this drectory does exist. You will have to forgive my ignorance on this, but once it found the directory i didnt know how to explore it. I went back to my manual and looked up commands but i was unable to get anywhere with the ones that were listed. Is there other ways to get to the Xf86config file so that i can post it. I havent finished reading my manual yet I'm only on page 23. (go easy on me i'm a complete newbie to SuSE)

permission denied as root... he'm...

try: chattr -i XF86Config

chattr -i makes the file nolonger imutable..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Antionline Herpetologist
    The problem is, I think, that you tried to execute XF86Config. Try pico /etc/XF86Config and tell us then.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

I put in pico /etc/XF86Config and it took me to this:

UW PICO (tm) 4.2 File:/etc/XF86Config Modified

Then it had some commands at the bottom:

^G Get Help ^0 Write Out -------------------->
    ^X Exit ^J Justify ------------------ >

and so on............

There wasnt anything in between the space there, so i tried some of those commands where it let me type but it didnt respond. Am i supposed to type these in just after my login at safe mode since this is the only area where i can navigate? Or am i doing this wrong because when i hit tab to get to the commands at the bottom of the page it wouldnt tab through them.