I have an IBM laptop running windows 2k, the system has a built in nic, up-to-date AV and all relevant MS hot fixes. This morning it went nuts and every one here is at a loss as to what happened so any thoughts would be helpful. I got in this morning and the system had forgotten it had a network card, no networking info setup, no card listed in the device manager, this happened after boot up as it was off last night. I tried to detect plug and play devices, no luck. I then rebooted and made sure the card was activated in the bios...it was. I booted into last known good configuration...no luck. I booted into safe mode with networking…it still wasn’t there. At this point I called over the help desk staff so I could get a good laugh t the looks on their faces as they tried to get it to work. We where about to reinstall with the recover disk when one of the staff jokingly waved his hand over the laptop and said...I summon the power of certification...the nic prepared and started working. Any thoughts (I have already searched my system for backdoors and remote admin stuff...nothing there) oh I went through my systems access logs and our networks logs and couldn’t find any unusual activity...and I am safely behind a firewall (Cisco pix).