Thread: Can't Install RH9

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar

Can't Install RH9

Are there minimum system requirements for RH9?

I am trying to install RH9 on an old Pentium 100MHz with 128Mb RAM and a 2.5Gb hard drive. It has been running Windows 2000 Server acting as a domain controller for a long time with no problems.

When I try to boot with my RH9 CD it just sits there and spins the CD and nothing happens. I booted with my RH7 CD and it went straight into installation with no problems.

I then tested my RH9 CD's in another, more powerful system and they had no problems installing. So, it doesn't seem like the computer itself has issues or that the CD's have issues but for some reason that one computer won't boot to those CD's.

Any clues?

I believe you should be OK with that configuration, could be something with your CD-ROM Drive?

Hardware compatibility list is available at Redhat 9.0 HCL

You might try creating the boot floppy to start the install process - I've had some luck with that on previous versions of RH that didn't want to install from CD Boot. (Edit - just realized you already ruled this out. Doh!)

Please let us know how you make out, I've got an old P100 that's running a dusty old version of RH or Slackware and I did have it in the back of my mind to maybe try and throw RH 9 on it.

Good Luck

Make sure you check the image files with MD5 to make sure they are good. I had the same problem with RH 8, when I checked the files, the disk 1 iso was bad. Hope this helps.
    "It is a shame that stupidity is not painful" - Anton LaVey

Ok, I just did a search and it comes up from the site that your computer doesnt meet the requirements. Go tohttp://www.edlug.ed.ac.uk/archive/Mar2003/msg00380.html and you will see that your computer doesnt meet the Redhat 9 requirements... Sorry man, I guess you should just go with your Redhat 7

er0k
    heh long live redhat 7.3 the last good distro!

If you have trouble with the cd-rom boot, check to make sure that your cd-rom is bootable, being that the system is older, it may not boot off the cd-rom, once you ensure it's not the cd-rom , test the md5 of the cd, if the cd is good, try the floppy boot image on the cd to boot to diskette and load the cd. If your floppy is having a problem, you can do the network install as a last resort. Hope you get it working, cause RH9 is pretty sweet. Enjoy!!!

PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

i think it has something to do with free space and other system requirement.that is all i can say .

Wheres the best place to download the ISOs ?

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    Here are two sites posted on PuReExcTacy's thread: RedHat 9 Is Great!!

As promised, here is a link to the Red Hat 9 ISO's:

ftp://65.41.9.136/pub/Mp3s/RedHat9/

I'll keep these ISO's on the server for two days exactly, after that, you should be able to get your free downloads from Red Hat or a mirror with big bandwidth. My bandwidth is pretty decent, just hope it doesn't get bogged down with this post. Oh well. : )

PuRe
    and

Here's RedHat 8.0 and 9.0 ISOs on a decent server.

http://linux.cem.itesm.mx/isos/
    I used the second site and was able to get pretty decent download speeds. I haven't tried the site posted by PuRe. According to the post that FTP may no longer be available.

You can go to the Redhat web site and download them directly from Redhat now or any one of their mirror sites. Being new though, there is a lot of congestion as everyone tries to download at the same time.