Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FreeBSD 4.8

FreeBSD 4.8

Hi guys/girls,

I just upgrade my FreeBSD 4.7 to FreeBSD 4.8 (released last week).

The latest stable release of FreeBSD 4x version. The FreeBSD 4.8 comes with initial support for Firewire as well as HyperThreading. On the desktop side, Gnome is now 2.2, KDE updated to 3.1 and also XFree86 is now on version 4.3.0 in this release...woott..woot and I don't have problem with mergemaster when I compiling a new kernel even Mplayer/xine for DVD player working fantastic.

Just in case you interested http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.8R/announce.html

Annya
    Not an image or image does not exist!

I was wondering about something and since you have FreeBSD then I will ask you or anyone else who reads my post, What do you think are the advantages of FreeBSD over Mandrake or Redhat? I know that they are all really great and all use unix but I just was wondering what your input on this would be. Thanks to anyone that replies to this post.

"What do you think are the advantages of FreeBSD over Mandrake or Redhat? I know that they are all really great and from what I hear pretty close related but I just was wondering what your input on this would be."

Closely related?????? dude thats like saying Windows 95 and Open BSD are both the same from security stand points.
    BSD owns.
    Linux and BSD are similar in that they are *NIX but Free BSD is WAY more reliable, stable and secure than Red Hat or Mandrake,

Sorry didnt mean to sound mean, having a rough day, but yea Linux and BSD, BSD is generally more secured and reliable and also more technical and a lil more difficult to set up, iv installed it a few times, its all text basewd but worth it.

I cannot say FreeBSD better then any Linux (RH,mandrake,etc) or any OSes cause I am still learning and I am not expert yet, but I am learning fast .( I guessed )
    For me every OSes it's good whatever Os you have... you need to learn , howto secure,etc and stick with it and fortunately I like FreeBSD and Linux.
    A few things I like from FreeBSD ;
    1) Their ports system (including portupgrade )
    The advantage of a FreeBSD ports package over Linux when installing package is what I have to do is:
    Lets say I wanna install ddos tool (this tool to check maybe I have DDOS attack)
    # cd /usr/ports/security/find_ddos <<<<< just example
    # make install clean
    and everything would be taken care of( you don't have to find dependencies ..like you do in Linux except Gentoo and Debian, BTW on Linux you can do like this ( install package) for Gentoo Linux using Portage and Debian Linux using apt ( I am not really sure about debian, never used debian))

And to run it I just logged as root and do like this:

# /usr/local/sbin/find_ddos
    Running with the following default options:
    /usr/local/sbin/find_ddos -g files -l LOG -p /tmp /

This material and tool is furnished on an "as is" basis. There are no
    warranties of any kind, either expressed or implied as to any matter
    including, but not limited to, warranty of fitness for a particular purpose
    or merchantability, exclusivity or results obtained from use of the
    material. There is no warranty of any kind with respect to freedom from
    patent, trademark, or copyright infringement.

If the program "find_ddos" generates a log file revealing unlawful access
    of a tested system, system administrators are encouraged to contact their
    local FBI field office or the NIPC.

Please review the README file before continuing.

Do you accept these terms? yes

In the future, you can run this tool with the "-y" option from the
    command line to acknowledge these terms

Logging output to: LOG
    WARNING: Unable to scan running processes.
    This will happen if the /proc directory is not a procfs.

Scanning "/tmp"...
    Scanning "/"...

No DDOS tools found.
    #

2) Merged virtual memory and filesystem buffer cach
    3) Security
    4) cvs

5) FreeBSD is far more stable and tested. It has been around for MUCH longer and has
    a very nice, solid foundation. It is a superior server because the FreeBSD core team
    holds stability above all else, and all additions done are added with stability in
    mind.

6) FreeBSD can run most Linux software just fine. Anything that is NOT statically
    linked should work like a charm.

7) FreeBSD's code is very clean, consistant, and professional looking.

8) FreeBSD is more integrated. FreeBSD is an OS, whereas Linux is just a kernel.
    There is only one FreeBSD, and a million Linux distros.

9) FreeBSD is well tested in enterprise server environments.

10) FreeBSD is built democratically, with a core team of several people
    making the decisions.

11) FreeBSD is generally more secure. It has features such as the ability to run
    multiple copies of itself on the same PC, all isolated from each-other, so as to
    prevent the compromise of one service leading to a full system compromise. It has
    also supported certain extended attributes, officially, for years, such as the
    ability to make a file undeleteable even by root, the ability to make firewall rules
    unchangeable even by root, etc. (in order to change them, you have to boot to single
    user mode as root, so remote compromises are all but impossible)

Cheers

--

If you guys don't mind I'm gonna hijack the thread

How to I modify my startup scripts to run my ircd as the user ircd at boot time? I've looked everywhere and can't find it.

Ratman i dont know how to answer your question really because iv only used it a few times, but sweet angel made some very good points, also if you ever get the book called the complete Free BSD, well in my version anyway, they go threw the ups and downs between free BSD and Linux. id recommend checkign that out.

Originally posted here by ratman3
    If you guys don't mind I'm gonna hijack the thread

How to I modify my startup scripts to run my ircd as the user ircd at boot time? I've looked everywhere and can't find it.
    Ratman have you try modify /etc/rc.local or /usr/local/etc/rc.d and then /etc/rc.conf.....or maybe I missunderstood your question?.

cheerss

to /etc/rc.d/rc.local

add something like:

su -c ircd "/usr/local/bin/ircd 1> /dev/null 2> /dev/null"

hope that helps...
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Hi mom!
    I've never done this before, but can't you add a line to /etc/inetd.conf ? you can specify which user you want to have to program run as.
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by the_JinX
    to /etc/rc.d/rc.local

add something like:

hope that helps...
    A better way to do this would be to create the following file:

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/ircd.sh

<file start>
    #!/bin/sh

case "$1" in
    start)
    if [ -x /usr/local/bin/ircd ]; then
    echo -n ' ircd'
    # here we start ircd:
    fi
    ;;
    stop)
    killall ircd && echo -n ' ircd'
    ;;
    *)
    echo "Usage: `basename $0` {start|stop}" >&2
    exit 64
    ;;
    esac
    <file end>

chmod 0766 /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ircd.sh and you're ready to go.
    You can start it using /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ircd.sh start or reboot.

What do you think are the advantages of FreeBSD over Mandrake or Redhat? I know that they are all really great and all use unix but I just was wondering what your input on this would be.
    The BSD's are true descendants of the original UNIX. You can check the genealogy here:
    ftp://ftp.uk.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD...sd-family-tree

Linus just made a UNIX-work-a-like kernel. Nothing more, nothing less. It's not even an OS. It's ppl like RedHat, Caldera, Debian etc. who make it into a working OS by 'borrowing' alot from other OS's (like the BSD's).