Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to make a windows box a file server

yes its a home LAN... if i mapped the drive then what kind of fileshareing would it be? like the drag in drop of windows, or ftp style?

then if i installed *nix and used it then what would it bee like?? avaiable to the win2k machines? i'd think so right?

so for a home LAN themapping would be best? or should i go through with *nix?
    If you map the drives, it depends on the type of share. If you do read only... then it would only be one way. If you did full access, then you'd use a password to get full access and drag and drop. Only one PC can connect to it though.

If you did it by linux, it depends on they permissions you set for the shares.
    You can make it so only you have full access and everyone only has read/execute access.
    The connections on a samba share is unlimited... well, up until your resources are all used.

I still think samba is the way to go.

You can find pleny of docs about it...
    I can even help you set it up if you'd like. Its not very difficult.

okay kool, if samba is the best choice then thats what i'll do... i want to become more fimilar with linux anyhoo...
    in a couple of days when i get off work i'll post after i get rh7 installed... thanx for all the help guys!!
    \"All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can\'t get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.\" -- IBM maintenance manual, 1975

Talking Sharing

O.K

If its a home lan you do get all sorts of doobries for sharing the drive to other platforms e.g unix but what I would suggest is looking for a freebie FTP server.

This way you don't need to do any tricky emulation or anything.

Look up www.downloads.com for an FTP server (preferably free)

This will allow your *nix to access it problem free without the bother of Cross Fat issues.

If you map the drive then it will appear as a local drive would on your machine.

File Server
    1. Enable sharing as detailed on previous post
    2. right click on the drive/folder to share and select sharing
    3. Select a share name.

Client end
    1. Go into explorer or my computer
    2. Select the map drive option from tools
    3. select a drive letter
    4. for the url type in \\machinename\sharename (make sure you select reconnect at logon)
    5. All done.

You should now be able to see it as you would a local hard drive.

You sound like a windows user to me so if I were you, I would just turn on file and print sharing. If you're interested in learning though; maybe you should try linux. It's really up to you, whatever you feel comfortable with. : )

Originally posted here by NeuTron
    You sound like a windows user to me so if I were you, I would just turn on file and print sharing. If you're interested in learning though; maybe you should try linux. It's
    yeah i really want to learn linux, but i was just worrie about the complitcity of setting up a server. i had never done that before. but i guess it cant be that hard or atleast not unfixable right

well redhat 9 is out now should i just burn that out instead of using redhat 7? can you tell me the major differences btwn the earlier release and the newest?
    \"All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can\'t get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.\" -- IBM maintenance manual, 1975