Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antipoints

Antipoints & Member status

I think a new antipoints system should be introduced where people are judged by merit and not how much they have sucked up to those with huge quantities of points.

I mean lets face it there are a few people running around this site with vast quantities of antipoints from sooking up but I wouldn't trust them to secure a v-tech pre school computer.

I just feel a better system could be put in place perhaps with testing on subjects to earn antipoints.

Furthermore there are people on the site who contribute next to nothing and leave idle banter in forums to gain better member status.

Anyone agree ?

It's a gas!
    I agree with most of what you've said about people brown tongueing and posting meaninglessly to earn better member and AP status.

But a new AP system wouldnt really be a viable solution.

IMO a viable solution would be to just rid AO of the AP system, that way no-one can complain!

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Interesting idea but then it becomes a question of ability to test versus actual knowledge. (book smarts versus experience). And I don't know if that's any better.

No system is perfect and perhaps some are more trigger happy than others but I don't think we'll find a happy medium as long as their is the human element. The original concept behind the APs was to reduce the sloppier posts ("How do I hack hotmail?", etc.), spamming and blatant plagarism. For the most part it works.

But others have, do and will use it to express their dislike of you. Eh. Such is life. When I first started and APs were introduced, I got a fair share of negs. Some were for stupid posts I had done (we all have our own blonde moments) and some were just out of spite. Don't let it get to you.

The APs are being considered by JM but nothing is set in stone. Ideas that are presented will be considered I'm sure.

And lastly, you comments about some of the types of posters we have. Yup. Like many sites we have those with lots of "fluff", some who just want to be heard and some with egos (I think we have lots of the last -- but that's not a bad thing sometimes ..). Some have no knowledge, try hard and either stick it out or get shoved aside. I firmly believe that we are always learning (there is NO WAY that someone knows EVERYTHING about security). And even sometimes we are still learning about how to communicate in this vastland of cyberspace.

But that is our community, warts and all. And you know? I wouldn't change it no matter how frustrating it gets. Because if we were all the same it would be downright boring and who'd want to vist?

<edit>
    Originally posted here by r3b00+
    IMO a viable solution would be to just rid AO of the AP system, that way no-one can complain!
    Someone will complain about something. I guarantee it!
    </edit>
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

No, i dont agree, the AP system is not there to show how much each person knows, but its there to show how well they can provide information and help among the community.

I wouldn't trust them to secure a v-tech pre school computer
    I just feel a better system could be put in place perhaps with testing on subjects to earn antipoints.
    just cause they dont know jack, doesnt mean they cant provide something else. therefore, when they bring forward something useful, they are rewarded with greenies, and not negged cause they dont know everything you think they should.

Furthermore there are people on the site who contribute next to nothing and leave idle banter in forums to gain better member status.
    and thats not true iether, most people use this site only when they need help, they dont need to browse everyday and night. its only because you are here everyday where you post stupid things cause you cant think of anything better, and yet, they wait months with a few good topics and get lots of greens just because they actaully have thought about what they post.

so, in short. i dont agree and i think the AP system is fine the way it is.
    - Trying is the first step towards failure. the moral is never try.
    - It\'s like something out of that twilighty show about that zone.
    ----Homer J Simpson----

i agree...but the antiopoint system is not all bad. it has its advantages and disadvantages, and has been debated over and over again since day 1 when it was introduced.
    I dont think the people at JM are that commited to this site (no offence) to remake the whole antipoint system, lets face it they got lives too.
    how about....stop winning about the antipoint system, post good and helpful post to help the community, and participate in community events. if someone gives you antipoints that do not make sense, then contact one of the admins, and i'm sure they'll sort it out. (how else did all those other senior members long ago, e.g stflook, get banned when they had a gazillion postive antipoints?)
    cheers
    script language=\"M$cript\";
    function beginError(bsod) {
    return true; }
    onLoad.windows = beginError;

I'd agree on killing the AP system..

The AP system was origionaly designed to judge people not on the number of posts they made, but on the quality of their posts..
    Most other boards only have ranks based on numbers of posts, the AP system on AO was/is an experiment to see how far self-moderation in a community can be automated..
    Unfortunately some members (seniors) have abused the system in the past and possibly even today people are abusing the system..

An AP is an expression of value to a post.. This expression is personal and that's why some people don't like it..

Some people abuse it to vent their personal rage toward a person.. those people could be eliminated (banned).. This has worked in the past.. so why not..

Well OK let's abbandon the AP system.. and get a dictatorship here instead of a democracy..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Jinx: like i said in #geetingsall, what would be the point of a dictatorship. who would be the tyrant, and if that happens, this would become a communism and therefore everyone would be equal and boring. i think i'll pass on that option. now an anarchy would be good...everyone could be their own god.
    - Trying is the first step towards failure. the moral is never try.
    - It\'s like something out of that twilighty show about that zone.
    ----Homer J Simpson----

A Heated Debate

Yes yes,

It does seem to be worth debating this anti points system.

O.K I can see that perhaps the antipoints system does reflect the views of the community but I still don't agree with the fact that your member status is directly related to the number of posts.

That means that people who are virtually useless to the community and know nothing appear to be valuable members just because they post Forum fillers.

Mark..

I thought this thread was about Antipoint status (the green or red dots) and not about member status (the number of posts)..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    I don't agree necessarily with the sucking up part. I do think there are some that post "yeah- great post" or similar pointless thoughts just to get from Newbie to Jr. to Member, etc. That takes care of itself somewhat through antipoints because people that do that tend to get negged. If they keep it up they may find themselves banned before they hit Member.

I would think (hope?) that those who have achieved mega-point status would be more mindful of doling out anitpoints- good and bad. If you affect someone by 5 or 10 points its not such a big deal, but I think if you affect someone by 40 or 50 or more points you should think twice about giving positive or negative antipoints unless it is really warranted.

I understand the weighting system, but some things I might give positive antipoints for and say "hey- great info" are worth 10 points but may not be worth 50. So, if I ever reach that point I will probably not give out antipoints unless something is REALLY good or REALLY bad.