Thread: Free IIS Security Forensic Analysis E-Book

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar

Free IIS Security Forensic Analysis E-Book

I got an email on one of my lists this morning with the following:

After a year-long effort to conduct a thorough forensic analysis of Internet Information Services versions 4 through 6, I've recently released a 400-page e-book detailing my conclusions, findings, and security recommendations for administrators and programmers who work with IIS.
    Here is the link to the zip file containing the E-Book: IIS Security and Programming Countermeasures

The zip contains a ton of graphics and the chapters as separate text files. The pictures are referenced in the text files, but don't show natively. I am not sure why the zip is packaged that way. It would probably work much better as a DOC or PDF with the graphics embedded or even as an HTML.

At any rate, I haven't read the 400 page doc yet so I can't attest to its accuracy or intelligence, but I thought I'd pass this on for any who may be interested.

I went and got it. Thanx man!
    101010 = The answer to liff the universe and everything...

It looks pretty interesting. I just wish they would have done it in word or a PDF file instead of notepad so the screenshots could have been added with the text. But a good find
    Violence breeds violence
    we need a world court
    not a republican with his hands covered in oil and military hardware lecturing us on world security!

Would it be a violation of copyright for me to compile it into a PDF for him?

Maybe I should send him an email and ask if he'd mind. It would certainly be much easier to read if it were in a PDF with the associated pictures where they belong.

Yea i started to do it with word. Just searching for .PNG and replacing it with the picture but there is so many different documents. I was on page 22 when I gave up.

I dont think it would be against copyright. Just do it and then email it to him and ask if its ok if you distribute this.
    Violence breeds violence
    we need a world court
    not a republican with his hands covered in oil and military hardware lecturing us on world security!

I have created both a Word DOC and a PDF file of the e-book. Both of them are 4Mb.

I have emailed them both to the author to see if he's OK with me sharing these versions of his book. If he approves, I will have to post it to my web site and link to it from there since I can't upload a 4Mb attachment to AO.

I'll keep you posted if I here from the author. It is a MUCH nicer book when its all in one PDF with the pictures where they belong! :-)

woah! that's damn nice, thanks!

Exclamation PDF Version

I got authorization from the author to post my PDF file.

Go to this link: IIS E-Book

Let me know if you have any problems getting to the link.