Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Some simple logic

Talking girl scouts

I believe they are called the Boy Scouts for a reason, that is why there are
    no girls allowed. Girls belong in the Girl Scouts! ARE YOU LISTENING
    MARTHA BURKE?
    actually, girls are allowed into the boy scouts. the girl scouts are the only orginization left in America that isn't mixed-genederd. a girl can officially become a boy scout, but a boy can never be a card-carrying girl scout. also, the girl scouts, unlike the boy scouts, have no religious affilitation. and we have cookies! top that!
    -the hour has begun, your eyes are now opened-

Gee, something has changed since I was a kid. Wasn't the name Girl Guides and not Girl Scouts? Maybe I stepped off the wrong cosmic teleporter - isn't this terra firma I? Darn, now my luggage has gone to TF III again.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

actually, Girl Guides is an overseas thing. in the US, the name has always been Girl Scouts. in Australia and the UK and probably many other places as well, they're known as Girl Guides. and don't forget about those cookies
    -the hour has begun, your eyes are now opened-

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    Excuse me, but girls are allowed into Boy Scouts? I'm an assistant scoutmaster of a Boy Scout Troop and girls are not allowed in. Women (18+) are allowed to be leaders. In our council, even sexual orientation is NOT a disqualifier, don't ask don't tell.

I wish girls were allowed into Boy Scouts as I have 1 of each gender of children and the girl wants nothing to do with Girl Scouts as they are "too sissy" for her. (I might add this daughter Bow hunts with me.)

Explorer, Ranger and Venturing Posts are CoEd. The new program, Learning for Life is CoEd. But the Boy Scouts are not CoED
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

Fourdc is correct girls are allowd into explorerers but not boy scouts, but female leaders are ok. Also note that Boy Scouts as a national/regional organization is NOT affliiated with any religious organization, an individual troop may be but they may also linked to a school or any private organization.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

Originally posted here by HTRegz
    I will say that if everyone treated their guns the way you do.. Then gun control probably wouldn't even be an issue.[/EDIT]
    That's not neccesarily true. A lot of killings happens because of the owner experience mental illness. In Norway, a small country with 5 million people, and one of the world's highest number of guns per person (everyone go hunting during holidays), this has become a large problem. Many are killed every year because of this.

The typical killer is male, unemployed (has lost his job), has relationship problems and kills under the influence of alcohol(drugs). He ususally kills wife/kids, then himself. As a scientist said to a newspaper a few days ago, "women often don't realise that quarreling with the husband after drinking alcohol may be just as dangerous as walking through a park late night".

My thoughts about this is that noone can be entirly certain that they are qualified for owning a gun. Mental illness isn't something you can control, with a little bad luck anyone can get it. For these reasons I will never allow anyone to store a gun in my house. One can argue that driving a car is much more dangerous than owning a gun. My reply is that you don't really need the gun. (Well, I suppose the hunters do, but if you have a gun for no good reason, you better get rid of it).

As for people saying they need the gun for protection, in Norway that's not a valid argument. If you shot someone breaking into your house you would be jailed, and burglars & thiefs don't carry guns anyway.

As for keeping guns to protect you from your own goverment, as bballad says, or keeping a gun for protecteing the country in case of an invasion, from a Norwegain point of view, that sounds insane. But you are Americans, different country - different opinions...
    ---
    proactive

Here's a joke for you.

In England, 13 people die every year due to gunshot wounds in the entire country; now take New York where hundreds die due to guns.

This either means that gun laws work, or British people really couldn't hit the broadside of a freakin' barn.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

I am guessing both, the brits can't hit the broad side of a barn but nethier can most americans. Have you ever witnessed a drive by shooting, the ganges can't hit a stationary target with automatic weapons (I have witnessed two, use to work as a tech for a head start proggram, its schools where in or near the projects.) We just have more bullites running around.

I wonder what the beating death tolls in England are?

I would venture to say the the SAS and SBS , (both British in origin, Australia has them too) can indeed hit the broadside of the barn. Perhaps you are merely referring to farmers with grandpa's shotgun?
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

I do beleive korp and I where refering to civilians...I don't doubt that the SAS can useualy hit the broad side of a barn.