Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: HELP Please!!! Instant Messengers Being Hacked

Sounds like one hell of a problem to me. Well more than likely this peson has remote access to your computer. My advice REFORMAT that should get rid of any problems.

ummm, maybe its just me but dont you people ever call in the law on this dumb ****? i mean come one man, grab your phone and call someone about it and have it taken care of, these arent hackers these are lamers, so put em in jail or somethin.

message to hacker

I found the following message to be helpful , as no hacker activity occurred after I posted it tonight. They will either consider it a challenge ...or a curse! :
    (type this on status bar of IM):

"WELCOME TO THE IRON BOX! TAKE THE BLUE PILL AND YOU WILL WAKE UP< FORGET THIS EVER HAPPENED."

references for the unknowing: 1) IRON BOX: Hacker Jargon for "trap", see Dictionary
    2) BLUE PILL: the sleep pill, see movie "The Matrix"

GOOD LUCK! (I know, still doesn't catch the hacker and give him what he deserves...but he may not sleep at night tonight for wondering.) Of course, if you hear about how to create this proverbial Iron Box, please email me, as I'd be interested. really interested.
    The greatest achievement was at first
    and for a time only a dream.
    --James Allen

Hi,

Virus scanners and cleaning your drive isn't going to any good in your circumstances.

Most IM services work with a portal, where the IM service provider proxies messages through to the users (Once a connection with a peer has been established, some IM protocols allow an e2e connection). The buddy lists are usually stored at the server side and not on the client.

The only way masquerading can be carried out is at the IM providers proxy. So I am stating the obvious.

From what you say, the attacker has gained access to your GF IM ID without you even telling him/her? again it seems like the obvious - this sort of backs it up.

This can be verified, if ask your GF to check the source IP of the attackers response. Now I'm thinking the attacker is more clever than the usual script kiddie and would have probably spoofed his/her IP, then things can get a bit more difficult, but we can check this if your GF tries to reply - if the attacker doesn't send a message or a while after sends a message which is not a response to the message your GF sent, then we know the IP is spoofed.