Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: plug and play internet?

plug and play internet?

Hey everyone. I have a question. At my school the computers are set up on M$ NT 4. How likely would it be that the internet connection that the computers (running the NT client) get come through the NT server? And if the internet connection does come through the NT server would you need to have an NT client OS on your computer to get internet access? What I want to do is plug my laptop into the network and get internet access while bypassing the limitations of running the NT client.
    No place like 127.0.0.1

what kind of data does an NT admin recieve about it's clients>?
    When you connect to your ISP, you are potentially opening your computer to the world. There are \'naughty people\' out there who enjoy breaking into other people\'s computers. Give some thought to the security of your computer...
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=360

what kind of data? everything. where you go. what you do. and also there is the limitations of what web sites you can or cant go to. and also i cant download any files on the school computers. I want freedom.

FREEEEDOOMMMM!!!
    william wallace
    No place like 127.0.0.1

as far as downloading and surfing the net, most school networks run through a proxy server (like Bess) and that's what determines whether or not you can access some materials...
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

Ok so that will determine what sites i cant access but what about downloading files?
    No place like 127.0.0.1

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."

Re: plug and play internet?

It depends on the type of file you're trying to download. The admins may have a group policy in place that blocks files of certain extensions or over a certain size limit.

IN RE:
    Originally posted here by Krimlin
    Hey everyone. I have a question. At my school the computers are set up on M$ NT 4. How likely would it be that the internet connection that the computers (running the NT client) get come through the NT server? And if the internet connection does come through the NT server would you need to have an NT client OS on your computer to get internet access? What I want to do is plug my laptop into the network and get internet access while bypassing the limitations of running the NT client.
    The limitations set by the admins are more than likely there for a reason. They don't want you to get around the server. Getting around the server opens up the possibilty that you are getting around AV software, and exposing the network to virii. Or in the downloading of large programs, you clog the bandwidth so nobody else can make use of the internet, etc.

I say screw it and use the PCs they provide for you.
    Besides, doing this will mean you'll less likely get in trouble for "messing with the network."
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

Well the reason for using my laptop to connect to the internet was the curiosity of if I could or not. I wanted to know if i could just plug in and "go". I just tried it and I could access the internet and also see every server in the school district. I realize this could be a security hazard for the school and dont plan on making a habit of it. and about the freedom thing...well....I liked Braveheart. Sorry if I offended anyone.
    No place like 127.0.0.1

Ok, most School servers are limited by the DOE, not the admin. At my school we have something called websense. It prohibts access to many pages based on the topic in the webpage, it also stops file ownloads of certain types (ie. MP3s). I have found that most of these prodrams have flaws that cant stop you from using P2P downloads. So I use Kazaa lite. it works fine because they have no way of stopping you from connecting point to point.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Right now it works fine. If enough people at your school abuse the P2P shares, your admin will no doubt go out and get the protocol analyzer add-on for websense and that will bring an end to P2P at your school. The protocol analyzer can block chat clients, P2P shares, etc.

Ya see, when you make a request, your firewall first determines if it has a rule in place to pass the request. If it does it then queries the websense box and asks if it is ok to continue with the request. Websense then looks at your IP/AD account or however your admin has setup the box, and then logs your attempt and either passes it along or tells you to go pack sand in your a$$.

I admin a websense box and while it can be beaten on occasion, for the most part it is a *very* solid program. As for your idea about pluggin in to the school network, yeah, you'll draw an IP address from the DHCP pool in order to obtain connectivity but ultimately the websense box is the authority on what you can and can't do out on the net, not your NT server.

--My two cents
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

I agree it is a very solid program. I am a student administrator for the network, that is why I know of this faw, I try to not let it be known. I also found that with windows xp allows people to access a remote computer. SO If there is a web page that I *need* something then I can go through m home computer. Or I make an FTP site at home and it gets through the filter.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com