Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antipoint Temperance?

Antipoint Temperance?

Would it be possible to make a standard value for all antipoints? Just think about it, if senior had a grudge against another member they could make there life a living hell. When a senior gives an antipoint, it can be anywhere from like 45-70 points(depending on their Ap totals)right? With just three or four negs by a senior on a lesser member would send them into the red zone quickly, and banishment shortly after. I have noticed that you only have to give out around 13 or 14 antipoints(it could be a few more, not sure), before you can give it to the same person again. With that said, a senior could ban a person within a couple of weeks(with a very diliberate effort of course)right? granted that they dont recieve any positive ones to counter it out. Another factor is based on the same principle, a senior, or anyone for that matter could start up a new account, and with a little posting here and there from the new account give themselves more chances to assign an Ap to it, and could beef that account up within just a few weeks, thus giving them the ability to dish out multiple negs to another member/and or beef themselves up further in their very-own Ap status. This could make retaliation even quicker. There is no telling how many members in the past may or may not have done this, from the least to the greatest. If you lowered the amounts of each antipoint value given, you could slow down this process, or even deter anyone from doing so, as it would be too much work to even bother with it. Just a thought.

There's always potential for abuse with *any* system, but I think antipoints are sufficiently secure enough to prevent the problems you're talking about. Sure, a senior member could hammer someone with negs, but they could also give out a lot of positives as well - so it works both ways - you wouldn't be complaining if someone with 700+ APs (like me) just gave you some positives.

As for people registering and beefing up their account, anyone who is sad enough to want to do that is welcome to in my opinion. They'd get found out pretty quickly, and would miss out on potential positives to their main account because any APs they received would be split depending on which account they made the post from.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Don't get me wrong pwaring, i have no complaints. It was just a mere suggestion, although i had given it alot of thought. Your right though, it certainly works both ways.

Its also stupid where ppl give out negs to random posts to balance out thier points, thats y im never in the green, ppl dont even give u a reason 4 ur negs !!

Technically their not susposed to give out their name, but i know what you mean. Fortunately there are enough "how do i hack hotmail" question's around so people can balance on that type of post.

Good point to bring up FrameWork, but i dont think most of the senior members would be dishing out the negs unless they really deserved it. Anyone who has been on here enough to become a senior member couldnt be that malicious or else they would have been banned already. All in all, interesting point, but the system is fine.

Like i said in the post anyone is capable of this. And there have been more than a few senior banishments. Just as someone stated in another thread about debwalin getting a huge loss of antipoints in the course of a month. After hearing that it makes you think a little in my opinion.

Dead Man Walking
    well you would think that maybe the ones who have been around long enough to obtain alot of greenies would not be the type of people who would do something like that. Anti points themselves would tend to weed out the ones with that type of personality. Just my $0.02

Sure, a few senior members have been banned in the past, but most have stayed on to become excellent members of the AO community. The only people who can dish out large amounts of APs are those with lots already, and they have the most to lose. The ones who do go round dishing out negs tend to be spotted and banned fairly quickly.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    Hmm, so we need to figure out a cure for hickups. Imagine the click missing due to hiccups. It might be the difference between a greenie and a ban
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"