Thread: Dvd

Post Dvd

Well Im just curious if anyone has been able to get smooth quality DVD playback on linux. If so, what software do you use? (mplayer, xine, ogle) Also tell me your system specs. (processor speed, ram, video card). Im just curious because I just was able to get DVD working on my pc using ogle and xine, however it is choppy even after enabling dma. I thought maybe someone with more ram and a faster processor would do better than I have. Right now Im using a 200mhz with 64mb ram, and a nvidia geforce2 with 32mb ram. I do use the nvidia linux drivers from their web site.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

I installed linux (RH7) on my Laptop and use xine dvd playback.
    Using xine by itself will not work properly. It will complain that it needs a plugin to handle the DVD data format. U will need Plugin and configure and also install xine, libdvdcss, libdvdread , and then u can download the plugin here , the name of file is "xine_dmd_plugin_1.0.2.tgz for pre-0.9.9 xine versions, xine_dmd_plugin_1.0.4.tgz for 0.9.9 or later xine versions" . After that Build and install The Plugin. And at last execute this command :
    ln -s /usr/local/lib/xine/plugins/xineplug_inp_dmd.la /usr/lib/xine/plugins/xineplug_inp_dmd.la
    and
    ln -s /usr/local/lib/xine/plugins/xineplug_inp_dmd.so /usr/lib/xine/plugins/xineplug_inp_dmd.so

At that time i run it on Pentium II-450 MHz, 128 Ram, GForce 32 MB.
    Hope that help mate.

Note : I am a new comer in Linux but i ever done this before with my friend's help.
    When I lay me down to sleep, Pray the LORD my soul to keep.
    If I die before i wake, Pray the LORD my soul to take.

http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=389

Hi,
    I have mplayer and ogle installed on my laptop running FreeBSD 4.8 ( I have installed mandrake 9.1 before on this laptop and I don't have problem with DVD player (mplayer,xine) running like champ ) and I tried Xine but I don't like it cause I cannot play any DVD movies.
    I like Ogle unfortunately they have "ugly gui" but even Ogle look ugly they can play any DVD movies and I like mplayer too it's very cool (I love their skins) and I watch DVD alot on my laptop and I don't have problem whatsoever to play it ..very smooth and good quality.
    I have Pentium 4 , 2.2GHz 64MB NVIDIA GeForce4 512RAM.

cheers
    Not an image or image does not exist!
    Not an image or image does not exist!

You might be getting choppy video, because of the low processor speed and low amount of memory. I find Xine to be the most functional of all the movie/dvd players for Linux.

--PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

the bare minimum that most DVD rom manufacturers recommend is like a 233 or 266, and althought the difference is marginal, you would get a log better playback on even a slightly faster machine (around a piii 500 or so with 128 or 256 of RAM would be optimal on the low-budget side)

also, and i'm sure you know this already, but minimize or (preferably) close any programs you aren't using, including services and whatnot, and halt any auto email checkers, etc. every little bit helps.

just my .02
    i\'m starting to think that i\'m bound to always be the first guy on the second page of the thread.

Well I guess there is no hope for smooth dvd playback on my old 200 mhz, however I have ogle playing dvd's perfectly on my 2.2 ghz with 512mb ram and a nvidia geforceFX 128mb video card.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19