Thread: how to connect a pc to pc with crossover cable

how to connect a pc to pc with crossover cable

Hi Im new to computers and I would like to connect my 2 computers together I heard that you dont need a hub, but can use crossover cables and so far I havent found any information. I wanted to know "how to connect a pc to pc with crossover cable" and do I need a program ?? please help and hope that someone here will take pity and not laugh ( too much)

Both computers require a NIC card, once you have that, simply connect the crossover cable between the two machines, configure them with the same subnet mask, and like ip address ranges, ie:

Computer 1: IP: 192.168.1.100 - SUBNET MASK: 255.255.255.0
    Computer 2: IP: 192.168.1.101 - SUBNET MASK: 255.255.255.0

Once you have done this, verify they both have the connection, and they should be able to communicate to each other.

To verify the connection, after setting addressing up, open a command prompt and attempt to ping one machine from the other.

Using my example, assuming you are on computer one, you'd just type:

ping 192.168.1.101

If you get 4 packet replies, and no drops, you are all set.

The reason you must use crossover cables is because of the send and receive wires on a cat 5 cable. Cx cables are used to connect similar devices, so that the send and receive wires are switched on opposite ends of the cable. Straight through cat5 connects dissimilar devices, such as hubs and NICS, or switches and NICS.

If you've ever seen a HUB, you may have noticed the small "uplink" button on them. This is for uplinking a connection to either another hub, or a CABLE/DSL modem.

If you're following what I've said, you'll understand why, the reason being, that because a hub and another hub are similar devices, they require a crossover connection, pressing this button allows you to use a straight through cable as a crossover, by switching the send receive inside of the hub itself, instead of the cable. Just a little extra information.

Good luck

You are quite correct a cross over cable between two PCs that both have ethernet ports will work. You will need to configure the network connection on each PC with an IP address (that is different) plug in the cable and ensure that the network configuration (start -> settings -> control panel -> network connections -> properties) includes Client for Microsoft Windows and file and printer sharing is on (if the PCs are running MS )
    Click on the TCP/IP properties and set the IP config

I suggest that you use IP addresses of 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2
    Set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0
    you will not need to set a default gateway.

Hope this helps

PS you should be able to purchase a cross over cable from most computer type stores (Radio Shack)

Golam
    Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

first read the site FAQ's, second post in the correct forum, third don't post twice, fourth use google and some appropriate search terms.

Now because you're new you might want to have a look at these places

this one

http://www.kime.net/directcc/directcc95.htm

details connecting two pc's using a serial 'laplink' cable rather than cross over cat5 cable - in case you don't have ethernet cards

and this one

http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/ne...t2pc/intro.htm

details using crossover cables using ethernet cards but without using a hub or switch i.e. what you asked for. Both of these sites detail the setup for Win95/98 but the prinicple is similar for WinXP .... I'm assuming you're using a flavour of windows... if you want linux instructions... well you'll have to say what Os your using... we like having a bit more info up front round here ok?

Z

[edit]
    ps can one of the mods move this to an appropriate forum please? ta

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

I dont think this matters but the subnet mask for your two ip address of 10.0.0.1/2 would be 255.0.0.0 since it is in the class A range.

PeacE
    -BoB
    #!/usr/local/bin/perl -s-- -export-a-crypto-system-sig -RSA-in-3-lines-PERL
    ($k,$n)=@ARGV;$m=unpack(H.$w,$m.\"\\0\"x$w),$_=`echo \"16do$w 2+4Oi0$d*-^1[d2%
    Sa2/d0<X+d*La1=z\\U$n%0]SX$k\"[$m*]\\EszlXx++p|dc`,s/^.|\\W//g,print pack(\'H*\'
    ,$_)while read(STDIN,$m,($w=2*$d-1+length($n||die\"$0 [-d] k n\\n\")&~1)/2)

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    **Duplicate thread in tutorials merged with this thread. Moved new thread from Antionline: How do I? to General Chit Chat. Deleted extra post**
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Question

ok thanks everyone for your help, I have them connected, but does anyone know how I can use my laptop ( which is not connected to my dsl) to connect to the internet while its connected to the host ( being my desktop that is connected to my dsl ) that is connected to the net ??? remember I'm new and dont really know what I'm doing ?

the host can offer a dhcp type service. your laptop can use it as the gateway to go out on the net. chk your config here, laptop can be set to obtain info automatically, then off you go.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.