Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: they kiss and make up

That seems like a typically "redneck" attitude....
    I don't think so, it's almost what i would call a natural reaction, or gut feeling ya know.

Originally posted here by FAQ

That seems like a typically "redneck" attitude....

<bubba accent>"Y'all don't agree with what we think so ya'll can go take a flying jump.....Think like us and believe what we tell ya all or we don't wanna play..."</bubba accent>
    Cute, you selectively quote me out of context and call me redneck? You have no clue as to whom you address.

*with a southern drawl*
    'Round these parts that means war, boy.

"Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week. Which is the way he wants it, well, he gets it. But I don't like it anymore than you men. -cool hand luke
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Originally posted here by Ghostdog
    I'm very curious of what you say. In France I never see Anti-American people, discourses, etc. If you have this in our News I think it's an invention of newspapers and TV. We have no boycott America or US product. American are always welcome.
    "In France I never see Anti-American people, discourses, etc."
    You have a point that some (perhaps even a majority) of French people are not anti-American.
    However French foreign policy is, and has been for years, virulently anti-American, a stance that the vast majority of French people support. Not exactly encouraging is it?

"If you have this in our News I think it's an invention of newspapers and TV. We have no boycott America or US product. American are always welcome."

I don't think the US could give a toss whether or not France boycotts US products.
    However it matters a lot to France to entice tourists from the US, and other places (e.g. the UK), a lot of which has been damaged by the French approach to Iraq, and international affairs in general.

darkes said

However French foreign policy is, and has been for years, virulently anti-American, a stance that the vast majority of French people support. Not exactly encouraging is it?
    France is not anti-American, France don't want that a single country gouvern the world. US knows that he is the more powerfull country. If we take Iraq as example. US said that they want to put democracy but they bypass a democratic vote of UN (UN has voted no to war)

darkes said

I don't think the US could give a toss whether or not France boycotts US products.
    However it matters a lot to France to entice tourists from the US, and other places (e.g. the UK), a lot of which has been damaged by the French approach to Iraq, and international affairs in general.
    The USA are not the firsts tourists in France, there are more British, Dutch or Spanish. We have much money of the English because they buy houses in Normandy (it is less expensive than on their places).

What disturbs to me is that I have the impression that the USA do not understand the point of view of France. I understands the position of the USA with respect to Iraq even if I do not agree, is it a problem of mentality (blind patriotism)? Are we too complicated? Don't the USA like France in spite of what they say? I don't know what to think.

France is not anti-American, France don't want that a single country gouvern the world.
    Fair enough, but when is the last time you saw the U.S with imperialistic goal's....

We fight almost the same way everytime.... We freed Kuwait, we stopped Milosevic, we freed Afghanistan, we freed the Iraq'i people.... There is a pattern, and it's not hard to see.

We have no intention's of occupying another's country. If threatend we go in, kill the bad guy's and get out. In Iraq it will take a little time since most everyone overestimated there infrastructure. We will need to stay and help them rebuild, set up a democracy, and get their oil pumping again. Which mind you, will benefit the entire world, because Iraq could have just as much oil as Saudia Arabia, and we know for sure they have the second largest oil reserve on earth.

Originally posted here by Ghostdog

France is not anti-American, France don't want that a single country gouvern the world. US knows that he is the more powerfull country. If we take Iraq as example. US said that they want to put democracy but they bypass a democratic vote of UN (UN has voted no to war)

The USA are not the firsts tourists in France, there are more British, Dutch or Spanish. We have much money of the English because they buy houses in Normandy (it is less expensive than on their places).

What disturbs to me is that I have the impression that the USA do not understand the point of view of France. I understands the position of the USA with respect to Iraq even if I do not agree, is it a problem of mentality (blind patriotism)? Are we too complicated? Don't the USA like France in spite of what they say? I don't know what to think.
    Nothing wrong with taking a view that is opposed to the US. But France believes that the whole of Europe should support the French position on foreign policy - and to quote your presidents recent remarks "I am the state" - Louis XIV mean anything here?

And how many times to I have to state that the UN did not vote on the latest Iraq resolution, because the UN is not a democracy, and probably never will be. A democracy means by definition that the majority vote wins. So you get a vote that France disagrees with (say 14 -1), yet France still wins?

And let me stress another point - the UN did not vote against the war in Iraq.
    The UN didn't vote on this proposal because France said it would veto it under any circumstances.

I think you will find that a lot of people understand the position of the French very clearly.
    It isn't blind patriotism, but a fundamental distrust of what France is really up to.

you are right, the un is not a democracy. Especially the unsc, it is more like a club. Ok, a very exclusive club.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

FrameWork said

We fight almost the same way everytime.... We freed Kuwait, we stopped Milosevic, we freed Afghanistan, we freed the Iraq'i people.... There is a pattern, and it's not hard to see.
    Kuwait was freed in 1991 NOT ONLY by US but also by UK, France, etc.
    You don't stop Milosevic alone (have you heard about Dayton agreement)
    Yes you have freed Afganistan but look at what this country is now. The people need everything. US came, put the talisban away and go back.
    The UK have also freed Iraquis people but this is only one battle the war is not finish. All iraquis are armed, there is a lot of "Ali Baba", they need food, medecine, work, etc.

darkes said

the UN is not a democracy, and probably never will be. A democracy means by definition that the majority vote wins.
    That's no true. Here is the definition (found Here

democracy [dı'mɒkrəsı]
    noun
    (plural: -cies)
    1 government by the people or their elected representatives
    2 a political or social unit governed ultimately by all its members
    3 the practice or spirit of social equality
    4 a social condition of classlessness and equality
    5 the common people, esp. as a political force
    [ETYMOLOGY: 16th Century: from French démocratie, from Late Latin democratia, from Greek demokratia government by the people; see demo-, -cracy]

They never said that the majority win. UN IS a democracy because there is a vote of ALL his members. The only thing is that there is 5 permanents members and 10 are elected every 2 years. To adopt a resolution ALL THE 5 permanents MUST BE AGREE. Like all others democracies there is rules.

Kuwait was freed in 1991 NOT ONLY by US but also by UK, France, etc.
    You don't stop Milosevic alone (have you heard about Dayton agreement)
    Yes you have freed Afganistan but look at what this country is now. The people need everything. US came, put the talisban away and go back.
    The UK have also freed Iraquis people but this is only one battle the war is not finish. All iraquis are armed, there is a lot of "Ali Baba", they need food, medecine, work, etc.
    Surely you arent suggesting that the people of Afghanistan are worse off than before are you? Because if you are then maybe you need to replay the video from when they were dancing in the street, playing music for the first time, and shaving their beards off that the Taliban made them wear.

FrameWork said

Surely you arent suggesting that the people of Afghanistan are worse off than before are you? Because if you are then maybe you need to replay the video from when they were dancing in the street, playing music for the first time, and shaving their beards off that the Taliban made them wear.
    That's not what I said. I said that you put the Taliban away and after you go back home. The problem is that they need food and medecine. Look at the hospital, they have nothing, they can't operate, 40% of the women die after having a baby due to the sanitary condition.