Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hacking the Matrix

Wink Hacking the Matrix

I have to say that while watching the movie I've been quite impressed by hacking scene, it was just realistic.

What do u think Ed WOOD movie or hacker movie?

full article here: When actors in films start using computers, reality usually flees the scene.
    But The Matrix Reloaded is winning praise from the net's computer experts and hackers because Trinity is seen using a free, popular scanning tool called Nmap.
    Nmap, or Network Mapper, is used to remotely scan a computer or set of servers to find out what a target is doing and to see if it has any vulnerabilities or loopholes to exploit.
    Writing about the scene, the author of Nmap, known as Fyodor, said he almost danced in the aisles of the cinema when he saw Trinity using his creation.
    No keyboards in sight at the Matrix Reloaded premiere
    Fyodor wrote that the film makers seem to have changed the text output of Nmap to help it fit better on the display Trinity uses in the movie.
    He also said that in the future the Matrix films depict, Nmap seems to run much faster than it does now.
    Trinity goes on to use Nmap to reveal the existence of a vulnerability in computer she is targeting which she then exploits with another, fictional, program called SSHnuke.
    [shadow] SHARING KNOWLEDGE[/shadow]

also, somewhat of a realitstic ssh prompt shows up in X-men two!
    anyone notice that?
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    LOL, yeah, i got an email from fydor saying when he saw that, he almost did a dance in the cinema

Its really better than the GUI hacks going on, with 3d effects etc..., way more realistic. I wonder what OS they were using though

Cheers.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

Lmao this is the third post about this. Please read post before you post, sometimes you mgiht post things that have already been posted. But this is the best post on this topic yet. -Twisted-

u know Fyodor instronics?
    r u in the insecure.org taskforce?
    [shadow] SHARING KNOWLEDGE[/shadow]

As soon as I saw that scene... a big smile came across my face.

I then looked around quickly... and nobody seemed to know what Trinity was doing. It took me 10min to explain to my GF that she had exploited a hole in SSHnuke on the machine and that is how she gained access. I then showed her how people break into computers by footprinting, enumerating and attacking (using PCs on my LAN of course). She now has a greater appreciation for computer security... which she didn't have before. She thought all those countless hours of me reading and playing on the PCs was just a waste of time... after all... I could have been watching Friends with her. *yuck*

It was pretty cool from a security enthusiast's POV to see something like that. Now only if we can get nmap to run that fast...

On a side note... which is completely off topic:

The theater I went to uses a ticket machine that you pickup tickets after you purchase them online. This is a good idea, as there is nothing I hate more than standing in line to find out that the show you want to see has just sold out. The service is called Fandango .

I went to pick up my tickets and the ticket machine was down. I motioned for an employee and a tech walked up to it right as I was trying to get my ticket. Seems that the machine had crashed... or lost power or whatever. I looked over his shoulder as my GF went off to get our tickets from the window and he powered it on. To my surprise it was running RH7.3. I didn't get too good of a look at what was starting up but noticed that he had plugged in a small portable keyboard into the back of it. A completely unprotected port. Just remove a little panel on the side that is secured by nothing. I thought it was a good idea to have a machine there which you can pickup your tickets... but bad idea to leave the ports open to anyone. It is in a high traffic area.. so the chances of someone tampering with it and not getting noticed are pretty low... but it has a credit card reader on it and depending on the setup... that data can be stored on the machine, or possibly intercepted. I don't know much about the setup and can't find much about it... yet.

Anywho... I thought that it was pretty cool that they were using linux on it. Up until the past few years... you'd have to look long and far to find places that have linux installed. at least visibly.

Ok, now I'm rambling... peace!

EDIT: I didn't proof what I typed the first time... LoL typical.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Talking Girlfriends Appreciation

Hey Phish.

I hope that after seing the film and explaining about the exploit your girlfriend was very turned on hehe.

I know whenever I go off into my computer talking I get barred to the back room of the house.

M

Mark: Yeah... I get kinda shut out too... but she knew that if she was going to be with a geek, she'd have to put up with it. Just like I know that if I have a girlfriend... I have to put up with the mall and shopping...

And turned on? Nah... not from that. Break out the wine and light some candles... now thats a little different...

She is pretty good about me and computers... but she wouldn't dare ask me a question. She doesn't like sitting through those 20min answers... LoL
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

if u really want to hack the matrix

Another good aspect and practice really for would be security experts is the "enter the matrix" game available on xbox and PS2 etc. There is a hacking option allowing you to hack into the game to allow you to view the fmv files showing clips of the movie etc etc and involves guessing passwords and obtaining access. A mix of unix,dos etc commands and is fun as well as educational in the mindests needed for hacking. relatively easy binary based passwords and clues are in game and in films and also require just raw brainpower. So yes "hacking the matrix" is certainly almost real now and fun.

And NO for those stuck on it im not giving you the answers to the passwords or wheree the clues are, there not that hard anyway !

live well and love life peeps !
    Our destiny is to endure all hardships that we encounter along the path to what we perceive to be true and worthwhile !

The Head foundation
    Please give generously

i didn't see any post the image?
    i found it off of packetstorm...

http://packetstorm.linuxsecurity.com...matrix2log.jpg
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...