Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding XP users in command prompt

Adding XP users in command prompt

I'm trying to remember how to add XP users from the command prompt and coming up empty.

I'm attempting to add a ton of users via a text file so I don't have to type things in manually on every machine.

Also, I'm wondering if there's a flag in the command prompt that I can set to now show accounts in the welcome screen. I know how to do it all in the administration panel, but I'm trying to do this on multiple machines, so writing a script is my best option.

Any help or links are appreciated.

net user add [Username] [Password | *] [options] [/Domain]

- Noia
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

Banned
    The windows 2000 server resource kit (http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...er/S_tools.asp )

includes addusers.exe, I think this is what you are looking for... however I don't run XP so I don't know if it is compatible or if a resource kit exists for XP and to be honest I am too tired to look right now, however I hope this sets you in the right direction.
    best of luck

catch

I'm attempting to add a ton of users via a text file so I don't have to type things in manually on every machine.
    Are we to assume from that that they're local users not domain users?

Unless you have some special reason you are probably better off adding them to a domain (NT4 or Active Directory). The "net user" command mentioned by Noia will work to add local users or domain users depending on the options.

You can add users en-masse using a simple script that uses "net user" - for instance a batch file or perl script.

simple script:

for /F "tokens=1,2" %x in (yourfile.txt) DO net user add %x %y [options] [/Domain]

if used in a batch file use %%x and %%y
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I'm adding them locally on 2 or 3 XP boxes in a peer to peer network, but want all the user on each station, so I just created a text file with usernames (and pre-generated passwords) that I'd like to add to each machine.

I also have a few administrative accounts as well that I dont want to show up in the XP welcome screen (in case it gets turned on)...are there flags for that in the net user command?

net user username password /add (add user)
    net localgroup administrators username /add (upgrade your popedom)

Like Noia said by using the net command you shoudl be able to achieve this very easily.

AO's MMA Fanatic! Computernerd22's Avatar

- Noia
    Hey Noia, and Tedob1 thanks a lot.

simple script:

for /F "tokens=1,2" %x in (yourfile.txt) DO net user add %x %y [options] [/Domain]

if used in a batch file use %%x and %%y
    Thanks,

np
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.