Thread: I need help

Old Fart

I need help

No....I'm not talking about psycological help, although that option is obviously open for debate. I'm trying to find a FREE program that will allow me to SEND faxes from my computer via my DSL connection. I already have a dedicated fax machine, but it only does black and white, not color. Normally this would not be a problem, but I have come into a position where there are times I need to send a color fax. I know that I have the option of putting a dialup modem back in my computer, but I'm trying to avoid that too. Any suggestions from the AO braintrust? I've already googled the bejeezus out of it and keep coming up empty...if I'm limited to paying services I might as well go by a new all-in-one printer/scanner/fax which I'm trying to avoid.

[edit] Win XP Pro OS [/edit]
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

http://download.com.com/3000-2192-79...ml?tag=lst-0-4

ScreenPrint Gold 3.3 (pop)
    Print, save, customize, email, and fax anything you see on your screen.
    File Size: 1.61MB
    License: Free

I know an ISP that priovide that service, don't know any free services though. It's really neat, when you send mail there's a checkbox for "fax". And then you can upload any document. The sender address comes up with your e-mail address instead of your phone number though.

I guess that didn't help much, but have you checked with your ISP to see if they have something similar?
    ---
    proactive

allenb1963,

I found this in a website...

Q: Can I FAX over DSL? (#136)

A: You cannot FAX over a DSL connection.. you can still send and receive faxes over your regular telephone lines though.

Upgrading to DSL may add a DSL modem of some kind, but if you keep your old modem, you can still use software fax products like winfaxpro -- they simply use your telephone line as before, although you still have to plug in a telephone line as well!

This holds true whether or not you get ADSL over your home phone or SDSL on another line.

You may also try the internet solution, and subscribe to a sevice like jfax.com or efax.com which provides you your own dedicated fax number, and you may send faxes using a utility, and receive fax messages (and voice messages!) in your mail inbox.
    ...but i don't know if it's true.

Source HERE

Good luck,

DKRR

Old Fart
    Thanks to everyone for the replies....looks like I'll just end up sticking "ye olde dial-up modem" back in my box....hope it doesn't cause an allergic reaction!
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...