Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: installing linux.....

installing linux.....

Question.......I'm about to install mandrake 9.1...I have 2 hard drives: C:\( master) and D:\(slave).....can I install Linux on the D:\ drive and still boot it?
    I currently have mandrake 7.2 installed on the c:\ along with Windows 98 and I can dual boot into either one but I don't have alot of room on the c:\ I have lots of room on the d:\
    So basically I would like to put Mandrake 9.1 on D:\ and still be able to dual boot....will it work?
    You can\'t squeeze cheese from a goat before it\'s hatched.............

should be fine as long as you RTFM.

install linux...part 2

more to the point..... I used Partition Magic to create a linix partition an c:\... 2 gigs
    is this enough room for mandrake 9.1? should I delete this partiton and make a bigger one, or make a new linux partition on the d:\ drive? Or will Mandrake 9.1 ceate it's own partition?.... I only have 4gigs to play with on the c;\ drive but I have 14 gigs to play with on the d:\ drive.
    You can\'t squeeze cheese from a goat before it\'s hatched.............

defenitely put it on d drive if you want to be able to do anything with it, its 3 cds, then on top of that you have your swap file which can sometimes be half a gig of space, i have RH8 on an 8 gig partition with about 4 gig free at the moment, that was 3 cds as well

i ahvnt done anything with mandrake yet, i have the cds for it but no box to put them on

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    I'd put in on the D: although it's not actually d: anymore, it probably would become
    /dev/hdb, anyway make sure you put your boot loader into MBR (grub or lilo) so you can nicely boot both.

I prefer lilo after my boot probs in grub yesterday on mah Gentoo install.... btw Gentoo
    is damn sw33t .

anyway gore made a point , get on the web get a install note if you have doubts, and if you follow those it should work out fine....

Greetz,
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

Post Re: install linux...part 2

Originally posted here by Old Man
    more to the point..... I used Partition Magic to create a linix partition an c:\... 2 gigs
    is this enough room for mandrake 9.1? should I delete this partiton and make a bigger one, or make a new linux partition on the d:\ drive? Or will Mandrake 9.1 ceate it's own partition?.... I only have 4gigs to play with on the c;\ drive but I have 14 gigs to play with on the d:\ drive.
    I installed Mandrake 9.1 on my 2.1 gb hard drive with no problems, however you must be pretty selective with your package selections. My question is that if you install mandrake on a second hard drive, will you have to create a swap partition on that hard drive as well, or will you be able to use the one on the other hard drive?
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    Íf you gonna have a dualboot (M$ - Linux) it doesn't mather where the linux is, it always needs his swap space (in windows it's called Virtual Memory)

Anyway I would chose to have my swap space on the same disk as my distro, BUT if you already have a swap space assigned on for.ex /dev/hda2 and you're creating a boot in /dev/hdb1 and root in /dev/hdb2 I guess you could tell the distro to search the swap space on /dev/hda2.
    My thoughts are though you're just slowing it down cause it's on the other HDD.

Never tried it but I geuss this works, could be solution if you're having a space prob on hdb.
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Anyway I would chose to have my swap space on the same disk as my distro, BUT if you already have a swap space assigned on for.ex /dev/hda2 and you're creating a boot in /dev/hdb1 and root in /dev/hdb2 I guess you could tell the distro to search the swap space on /dev/hda2.
    My thoughts are though you're just slowing it down cause it's on the other HDD.
    Shrekkie old bud, this works fine. When I built my frankenstein machine, I had three 1.8 gig drives. I was able to make swap space on hda3 while having the core of my linux distro run from hda1. I saw no performance issues.

Hope this helps out.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

hmmm, let's see, if you make a Linux Partition on your D:\ drive, you should be able to load Linux into that, the Bootloader will be installed automaticaly on youe Boot-sector on C:\ allowing you to puck which OS to use at boot....and by default this would be Lilo which is very user friendly....How ever...make sure when you pick which partition to use that you tell Linux to use the One you set aside..and only that one or else it might clean out one of your HDD's for it's own use...thats the only time you should really need to pay attention...other than that it's pretty straigh forwards

- Noia
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

you can use windows partition for installing mandrake it can be put anywhere you like. Mandrake will only make one directory (with so many sub directory ) and use that directory as virtual drive.
    otherwise u can resize your drive D with partition magic