Thread: DLL Wrapper

DLL Wrapper

Hello everyone,

I'm a computer programmer for a medium sized corp. I'm head of HR development team, we build office solutions using VBA and VisualBasic6, currently we use Outlook to send Documents, Reminders, Emails, etc... Because of M$ Hotfix (in response to all those outlook worms) Outlook requires the user to verify all actions taken against either outlook or it address book...

There are Two ways that i know of to get around this. A certified DLL (that can be done by the exchange admin) or we could go with a Verisign type support. Now, considering that my dept. doesn't get much funding ("overhead") - i though that the Certified DLL would be easier. So i'm talking with the admin about the DLL Idea and he says something to me about a "wrapper" dll? i'm not sure what he is talking about- if someone could explain... (btw- i know how to create/use DLL [activeX], is "wrapper" just a fancy way of saying things?)

comments and suggestions are welcome and appreciated

The admin says wrap something into a (certified i suppose) dll. Maybe he means it is possible to make a universal dll that you can wrap every other dll into. Might be possible, as I expect Outlook has specified an interface for objects to connect to.

Soo.... the wrapper dll could implement this interface, and provide the exact same interface for other dlls. And you would get away with creating only one certified dll! Might work, and it might not.
    ---
    proactive

thank you for your response... i figured it was just a fancy way put all the 'outlook' code in a DLL... glad i asked here first, would have seemed dumb in front of t he sys admin

-
    btw-> how would we distribute/use a DLL like this (not every user on the network needs it, only those that use our documents?)

Ninja Code Monkey
    You can simply create another .dll with vb that acts as an interface for and uses the first .dll. You can then certify your wrapper .dll and do about anything else you'd like with it including adding functionality.

To distribute the .dll simply look up how to use the package and deployment wizard, that will create everything you need to do regular installs. Or you could simply copy the .dll's over and register them manually (regsvr32 <dllname>).
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

For me a "wrapped dll" is used when you use a dll where you don't have the code and you want more control. For example in win2k/XP, you can't stop the Crtl+Alt+Supp. The system treat this before anything so if you make a keylog you can't stop this but you can replace the dll which do the security and treat the key with your dll. His job is just looking the args if it's not Ctrl+Alt+Supp then call the "real dll".

I hope this help (and be clear).