Thread: Arafat does it again

Arafat does it again

You knew it wouldn't take long for Arafat to screw up the possibility of peace in Israel, I mean he's done it so many times before.

I love how they point out that Arafat is the "elected" president of the palestinian Authority. Yeah elected, kind of like Stalin or Hussein.

http://apnews1.iwon.com//article/200...D7RA0NSO0.html

Sorry it's from Iwon.com but that just caught my eye and trying to win free money is sort of a hobby of mine. (I know, I'm sick, aren't I)

Besides coming back with the same stale arguments about which side is right or which side has been wronged more let's try to focus on Arafat's decision to put a hold on impending peace shall we? I want to talk specifically about this issue.

Do you feel that Arafat is once again just playing a trump card because he'll lose favor with his out of control Hezbollah terrorists, etc. etc. And they might turn on him in his "hour of need"?

Or do you think he's butting in at this late date to prove he's still in control?

Let's try to keep this clean shall we?
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Banned

Re: Arafat does it again

Originally posted here by KorpDeath

Do you feel that Arafat is once again just playing a trump card because he'll lose favor with his out of control Hezbollah terrorists, etc. etc. And they might turn on him in his "hour of need"?
    It seems that Arafat has already lost favor with the Hezbollah. You would have to doubt small gestures like this would win the support of these extremists back. IMHO, it just seems like a desperate act by an out of touch "has been" who still craves power...

The biggest problem that Arafat has is that recently the US has been putting pressure on Israel to accept the 'roadmap' to peace. However, the tacit understanding here is that it will exclude an unelected president, who for years has supported Hezbolla, and run a very corrupt regime. Perhaps not quite as bad as Iraq, but you can see the parallels.

Which is why the 'roadmap' was not published until Palestine elected a prime minister.
    I feel rather sorry for Mahmoud Abbas, who is in an impossible position, because he doesn't have much real power. I'm sure he will negotiate in good faith, but if Arafat is there to block what is agreed, there is not much hope, is there?

I also think that the EU is being very unhelpful here (represented by France, as always), in insisting that Arafat is involved in any negotiations.

JERUSALEM (AP) - Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat stepped in to assert Tuesday that he - not his prime minister - is in charge of the Palestinian side in negotiations with Israel, throwing plans for an Israeli-Palestinian summit into confusion.

What would you expect from a terrorist like Arafat? Come on this is the same game he's always played. He says one thing in English to the west and another in Arabic to his "people".

It seems that Arafat has already lost favor with the Hezbollah. You would have to doubt small gestures like this would win the support of these extremists back. IMHO, it just seems like a desperate act by an out of touch "has been" who still craves power...

Come on FAQ they love this guy, all that is just a ruse. For instance would anyone here in this forum care to explain why bomb belt's and hundred's of skull cap's were found in Arafat's Ramallah compound?

Come on FAQ they love this guy, all that is just a ruse. For instance would anyone here in this forum care to explain why bomb belt's and hundred's of skull cap's were found in Arafat's Ramallah compound?

Costume party?
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a night.
    Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

let's see what the new pm comes up with. Hopefully he is more clever than arafat.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.