0 0%
  • Phone Him & Then His Boss

3 50.00%
  • Do Nothing

2 33.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need HELP GUYS&Gal's

Exclamation Need HELP GUYS&Gal's

Okay I have a linksys router and switch, which I would like to address the router directly. I have tried to type in the address wich was given to me by the linksys setup manual. I get server or address not found in my web browser each time. Also I would like to know if I have my router connected then my switch connected to my computer(s) then would it make a difference in the way that I setup to see the router directly?
    Help A Newbie Out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Controvesial way are the nature of us all. Exit Controversy Enter Controverzy226 Newbie With Desire To Be the Best 05-16-2003

What is your current set-up? Could you diagram it for us?

Can you ping the address? Are your computers set to DHCP, so that they'll receive IPs from the router? You are going to have to give a lil more detail on your set-up.

Okay DHCP is enabled and as for my setup I have 2 Computers, one linksys cable modem, then the router, to the switch. then Ive got two RJ45s Running two the PC's. Wait Ping How do I ping the address?
    Controvesial way are the nature of us all. Exit Controversy Enter Controverzy226 Newbie With Desire To Be the Best 05-16-2003

ping.. go to your command prompt and type ping and the address you were given.. (I'm assuming 192.168.1.1)

as far as your set-up i'm not quite following.. PC - Modem - Router - Switch?? that makes no sense..

Okay I ping my address and It says 100% Lost 4 packets sent 0 recived 100% Lost. I do run a firewall. Setup Im assuming that your talking about the network hardware that I have for my network. I Connected my router up to my cable modem then I connected my linksys router to it, then I connected my switch from linksys to that and then connected both of my pc's. If im incorrect please elaborate.

Banned
    How about giveing it some time instead of pinging and then droping the response....
    (Thats if everything is pluged in and properly connected though)

Try ping 192.168.1.1 -w 1000

It counts in milliseconds so I think 1000 = a one sec. delay
    Its no big deal... I've seen alot of peaple get confused with the commands and forget to delay the timeout. If you type "PING" without the " " & IP addresses and (ect) you should get a list of things you can do with the ping command.

Gezz... I've been gone on a trip for a whole week now and look at how quickly everything has already changed here in AO. Did everyone miss me?

The Command worked, but I got a Timed out and a 100% Lost agin. Maybe I need to redo my network?

I've seen this happen before.... did you turn everything on?

Okay I just got my ping to work. I had to reinstall the router. Or Shall I say the first time set it up the right way. Thanks for that info I got all my pings and now my Address for my IP address is different though.

Okay back too the matter at hand. How do I address my router directly?

One other thing doing a router set up it ask for a mac address and a domain name for my setup? Is the domain name the ISP's Domain name? Or the IP ADDRESS I first was assigned?

The Iceman Cometh
    How do I address my router directly?
    You said you now know your router's IP address, right? Simply type that address into a web browser. It will ask you for a password, which, unless you changed it, is listed in your documentation. Once you have successfully entered the password, you will be allowed to change the IP address (just follow the directions listed in the manual if you don't know what you're doing).

One other thing doing a router set up it ask for a mac address and a domain name for my setup? Is the domain name the ISP's Domain name? Or the IP ADDRESS I first was assigned?
    This step is only necessary if your cable connection is tied directly to your MAC address (which most providers no longer do). Unless you know you need this, leave it blank for now.

AJ