Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux and 80 lines of stolen code??

Linux and 80 lines of stolen code??

[ --- Article from http://www.eetimes.com/sys/news/OEG20030606S0039 --- ]

Linux-Unix ties spelled out

By Charles J. Murray

EE Times
    June 6, 2003 (5:08 p.m. ET)

PARK RIDGE, Ill. — SCO Group revealed the foundation of its legal battle with the Linux community, when it rolled out evidence of large blocks of Linux code that it contends were stolen from Unix. Analysts who saw the samples of the allegedly stolen code said the evidence is damaging and that SCO Group has a formidable legal case.
    “If everything SCO showed me today is true, then the Linux community should be very concerned,” said Bill Claybrook, research director for Linux and open-source software at the Aberdeen Group (Boston).

If SCO (Lindon, Utah) prevails in its legal efforts, many observers believe the action could, at best, result in hundreds of multimillion-dollar licensing payments from Fortune 1000 companies and, at worst, damage the foundation of open-source software.

The revelations by the SCO Group Wednesday (June 4) followed a turbulent week in which the company exchanged both allegations and counterallegations with Linux supporters and with Novell Inc. (Provo, Utah), which has proclaimed in an open letter that SCO doesn't own the copyrights and patents to Unix, the operating system Novell sold to SCO in 1995.

SCO's revelations also served as a response to the Linux community, which has complained over the past two months that it doubted SCO's contentions of theft because the company had not publicly disclosed evidence to support its claims.

Claybrook and another analyst who had been given an opportunity to see examples of the alleged theft said the blocks of Unix and Linux were strikingly similar. The two blocks of software, they said, contained as many as 80 lines of identical code, along with identical developers' comments.

“One could argue that developers could write exact or very similar code, but the developers' comments in the code are basically your DNA, or fingerprints, for a particular piece of source code,” said Laura DiDio, a senior analyst with the Yankee Group (Boston), who viewed the evidence.

“It's very unlikely that code and comments could be identical by pure chance,” Claybrook said.

DiDio and Claybrook said they were given side-by-side copies of Unix and Linux code to compare. Neither was paid for the work, and both agreed that the evidence suggests SCO has a strong case in its $1 billion suit against IBM Corp. and in its scrap with the Linux community.

Linux supporters, however, were quick to question the meaning of the evidence. “Can SCO prove that this code came from SCO to Linux, and not from Linux to SCO?” asked Jon “Maddog” Hall, executive director of Linux International (Nashua, N.H.), a Linux advocacy organization. “Or did the code that's in SCO Unix come from a third source? Show me the facts,” he said.

SCO's battle with the open-source community grabbed headlines two months ago when it filed a $1 billion lawsuit in the state court of Utah against IBM, alleging misappropriation of trade secrets and unfair competition in the Linux market. In May, on the heels of that suit, SCO sent letters to Fortune 1,000 companies and 500 other businesses advising them to seek legal counsel if they use Linux.

SCO's actions angered Linux supporters, who allegedly deluged the company with angry e-mails, threatened drive-by shootings, and posted SCO's executives' home phone numbers and addresses on Web sites.

On May 28, Novell jumped into the fray, arguing that it never sold the Unix copyrights or patents to SCO when it consummated the Unix sale in 1995. In an open letter to SCO, Novell said, “Apparently you share this view, since over the last few months you have repeatedly asked Novell to transfer the copyrights to SCO, requests Novell has rejected.”

Novell assailed

In a subsequent news conference on May 30, SCO chief executive officer Darl McBride lashed out at Novell, restating SCO's claim that it owns the Unix operating system patents and implying that Novell has a hidden agenda for insisting otherwise.

“We strongly disagree with Novell's position and view it as a desperate measure to curry favor with the Linux community,” McBride said.

Last week's analyst revelations, however, cast the battle in a new light. Until the analysts weighed in, Linux backers had relied on the defense that no one had seen proof of the allegations. Most said they didn't understand why SCO had refused to release the alleged infringements for public scrutiny. Some said they viewed SCO's actions as a means to spread fear, uncertainty and doubt about open-source software.

But analysts categorically disagreed with that viewpoint last week. “SCO is not trying to destroy Linux,” said DiDio of the Yankee Group. “That's silly. This is about paying royalties.”

SCO contends that by co-opting code from Unix, Linux has severely damaged SCO's intellectual property. According to some estimates, the company collected annual revenue of between $200 million and $250 million on Unix System 5 software before the rise of Linux. After Linux reached the mainstream, those revenue figures dropped to about $60 million a year.

Because it believes Linux incorporates code that's been “stolen” from Unix, it has warned hundreds of companies to stop using Linux or start paying royalties.

“SCO's words were that Linux distributors and others who are using Linux are 'distributing stolen goods,' ” said Claybrook of Aberdeen Group.

Some companies, such as Sun Microsystems Inc., already pay hefty royalties to SCO for Unix. Two weeks ago, Microsoft Corp. joined that group when it agreed to pay royalties that were said to be “significantly in excess of $10 million,” one source said. Microsoft declined to comment on the details.

Facing a choice

Many observers believe SCO's case is bolstered by the fact that it is represented by high-powered attorney David Boies, who prosecuted the Microsoft antitrust case and represented Al Gore in the 2000 presidential election vote-counting scandal.

Analysts said IBM will be the first company to face a choice in the legal matter. “If IBM wants to cure this problem, they could start by buying all the appropriate licenses and then paying SCO a billion dollars,” Claybrook said. “But SCO now says that a billion may not be enough to cover their damages.” Users of Linux also face a decision about whether to ignore SCO's letters or pay for a license. Analysts said companies may face that decision as soon as June 13, the date on which SCO has threatened to terminate its existing Unix contracts with IBM.

Intellectual-property attorneys advise that companies that received a letter from SCO first determine whether IBM is indemnifying them, as users, against legal action.

IBM, for its part, has said it doesn't intend to respond to SCO's threat. “We believe our contact is perpetual and irrevocable,” an IBM spokeswoman said. “We've already paid for it, and there is nothing else we need to do.”

Whether the legal actions will harm Linux in the long run is still open to question, experts said.

The Linux community, unconvinced by SCO's actions, says it is still waiting for more solid proof that SCO really has a case. Most say that showing the alleged violations to a few analysts who sign nondisclosure agreements isn't enough.

“We still don't see the need for secrecy,” said Hall of Linux International.
    -----------------------------------

[ --- Article from http://slashdot.org/articles/03/06/1...id=106&tid=185 --- ]

An Anonymous Reader writes "Apparently someone inside SCO has stated that SCO(actually Caldera) copied Linux code into System V. They did it to build what they now market as Linux Kernel Personality - the ability to run Linux software on their Unix. Now, the open source community(of course they don't mention who) is jumping on this, because they didn't return the changes to the OS community or give the community credit. Of course, SCO says it's a misunderstanding and, get this 'SCO also never used any of the Linux kernel code.'"
    -----------------------------------

It looks like SCO want to make a lot of money with software that belongs to others, however if its true that this software belongs to SCO then the open source community has a big problem. If SCO wins in court an IBM has to pay then there's also a serious problem for linux users.
    [shadow]OpenGL rules the game[/shadow]http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=499

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Quite laughable. I recently got a copy of Linux User and Developer and what do I see? A review for SCO Linux. (aka United Linux).

I don't think that SCO has much of a case. As pointed out in the article, there is a question of which direction the copying might have gone. Heck, even if SCO might happen to win, the judge doesn't have to award them diddly. He may decide to award them a mere dollar (the idea that yes in principle you are right but ethically/morally you could have done this differently).

I still think it's a pure money/attention grab by SCO.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

SCO is sleeping with Microsoft. Buy Stock off of SCO; Microsoft will by them out and Microsoft will have official Unix and Linux binaries. Microsoft will turn Windows 6.0 into unix kernel just like Apple. Gates will make it easier to install therefore good enough for desktops and corporations to use. The Open Source folks out there will have their "free" stuff while Microsoft patches and packages it. Conspiracy

Damn Busted!! Hah. It's all up to the judge now! Thanks cleanbash for the great read there.

Cya
    First you listen, then you do, finally you teach.
    Duck Hunting Chat
    VirtualConvenience
    RROD

SCO has everything to loose from money to reputation(already gone)
    guru@linux:~> who I grep -i blonde I talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch; unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp; umount; make clean; sleep;

Users of Linux also face a decision about whether to ignore SCO's letters or pay for a license. Analysts said companies may face that decision as soon as June 13, the date on which SCO has threatened to terminate its existing Unix contracts with IBM.
    In behalf of the companies I work for I'd just like to tell SCO that I am willing to meet them in court..
    I allready paid SuSE for the linux on the servers..
    and having a couple of hundreds of Windows licences is bad enough..

And personaly I wanna tell SCO that they can lick my balls.. and if they want me to pay for the slack on my laptop they can go look for me in the desert of the city..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Does anyone know the real relationship between Microsoft and SCO Linux ?

Apparently Microsoft has purchased code off SCO Linux recently - the timing seems to be impecable in light all the recent developments.

"The deal formally allies Microsoft with a company intent on frightening the open-source community into submission. Best of all, the Department of Justice can't accuse Microsoft of putting the muscle on corporate Linux users.

Fresh from smoking the peace pipe with Uncle Sam, the last thing that Microsoft chief executive Steve Ballmer needs is his minions to demonstrate anything that smacks of bully boy behaviour. Meanwhile, SCO can get away with the rough stuff, while the Redmondians safely hug the moral high ground. ("Oh my, but did you know that code embedded within Linux may have been stolen?") It's the best of both worlds.

At the very least, the litigation creates a cloud of uncertainty in the minds of information technology managers who are considering using open-source software. The last thing that a chief information officer wants right now is to have to explain to the chief executive why the company's cool new computer system could result in a huge legal bill. " - Charles Cooper, CNET News.com
    Are they in the background financing this FUD campaign against Linux or is the purchase purely for development to improve the Unix compatibility of its products, specifically Microsoft Windows Services for Unix, as claimed ?. Conspiracy theory, definitely - provable, never.

Far from being a Microsoft bashing exercise, the thought of Microsoft buying into this fight scares me in that this multi-billion dollar empire could potentially drag Open Source developers in and out of court, directly or indirectly, to the point where it is not viable for them to operate. The end result is not good for Open Source developers, specially if licensing fees are charged for the use of code.

With the Linux movement gaining momentum throughout the world and becoming a serious threat to the Windows Operating System both server and desktop, would it not be a wise business move by Microsoft to attempt to squash the competition - even if via the backdoor method - this not a tactic that I believe is foreign to them nor are they that financially cash-strapped that it is beyond them.

I might be way off the mark and barking up the wrong tree - guess time will tell - but if I am not wrong I can see both Microsoft and SCO benefiting directly should the case go SCO's way, all the scaremongering now is no doubt tipping the scales towards them as it stands.

Apparently it has been leaked by SCO insiders that they have used Linux code in their Unix System V without releasing it back to the community as required under the GPL.

"A source close to SCO, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told eWEEK that parts of the Linux kernel code were copied into the Unix System V source tree by former or current SCO employees.

That could violate the conditions of the GNU GPL, which states that any amendments to open-source code used in a commercial product must be given back to the community and a copyright notice must be displayed attributable to Linux, he said.

The source, who has seen both the Unix System V source code and the Linux source code and who assisted with a SCO project to bring the two kernels closer together, said that SCO "basically re-implemented the Linux kernel with functions available in the Unix kernel to build what is now known as the Linux Kernel Personality (LKP) in SCO Unix."

Source: http://www.eweek.com
    Guess the whole mess looks like it just got messier.

Long live Tux !!!

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    aaaarrrrrgggghhhhhhh. This is getting so sad. Idiots. Im really thinking of openening a taverna by the sea here and forgetting anything related to computers and copyrights. My dad always told me, not to get into the computing too deep. Guess he's right after all. One day its like this, next day its like that. I know that M$ is behind all this mess. Well, F$#*$# em too.

bye
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

I posted my take here. I have some links to some of the articles I have read.
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=244773

I hope I posted it in the right place. I did not think that it was a *nix security issue so I posted in general chit chat. It is my first big post so I apologize in advance is I posted incorrectly.

Re: Linux and 80 lines of stolen code??

"Claybrook and another analyst who had been given an opportunity to see examples of the alleged theft said the blocks of Unix and Linux were strikingly similar. The two blocks of software, they said, contained as many as 80 lines of identical code, along with identical developers' comments."

Lets crack MS-DOS open and see if that doesnt have a little Q-DOS in it...**** they even made a product called QBasic... Hmmmm, Maybe Linux should go over to the BSD kernel? hehe im all for a new Linux BSD style kernel, or use part of BSD. The BSD license if im not mistaken allows you to use te code freely or charge for it if you wrote something for it.

"One could argue that developers could write exact or very similar code, but the developers' comments in the code are basically your DNA, or fingerprints, for a particular piece of source code, said Laura DILDO, a senior anal retentive with the Yankee Group (Boston), who viewed the evidence."

uh huh, right. my ass.

"DILDO and Claybrook said they were given side-by-side copies of Unix and Linux code to compare. Neither was paid for the work, and both agreed that the evidence suggests SCO has a strong case in its $1 billion suit against IBM Corp. and in its scrap with the Linux community."

For all they know they were given a Linux kernel and a UNIX one with the new "Linux personality" to look at. **** if they want UNIX to have a ****ing Linux personality shouldnt they be trying to sue there own OS?

"SCO's battle with the open-source community grabbed headlines two months ago when it filed a $1 billion lawsuit in the state court of Utah against IBM, alleging misappropriation of trade secrets and unfair competition in the Linux market. In May, on the heels of that suit, SCO sent letters to Fortune 1,000 companies and 500 other businesses advising them to seek legal counsel if they use Linux."

For some reason traces off Bill Gate's semen were found on all SCO CEO lips.

"SCO's actions angered Linux supporters, who allegedly deluged the company with angry e-mails, threatened drive-by shootings, and posted SCO's executives' home phone numbers and addresses on Web sites."

**** there lucky I don't know where they live. I'd go BOFH on them. and then id kick the **** out of one of em just to feel better..... EVERYONE ON AO, SEND ME DONATIONS, I AM GOING TO BUY THE RIGHTS TO UNIX AND SCO TO SHUT THESE *****S UP AND THEN IM GPLin IT.... Gore Public License

"On May 28, Novell jumped into the fray, arguing that it never sold the Unix copyrights or patents to SCO when it consummated the Unix sale in 1995. In an open letter to SCO, Novell said, Apparently you share this view, since over the last few months you have repeatedly asked Novell to transfer the copyrights to SCO, requests Novell has rejected."

*Sco: **** THERE RIGHT WE DONT HAVE IT!!!!!.. hey Nov send us a copy so we know your not lying and so we can wright our name on it and show it in court!!*

"Last week's analyst revelations, however, cast the battle in a new light. Until the analysts weighed in, Linux backers had relied on the defense that no one had seen proof of the allegations. Most said they didn't understand why SCO had refused to release the alleged infringements for public scrutiny. Some said they viewed SCO's actions as a means to spread fear, uncertainty and doubt about open-source software."

LOLOLOLOL yea let this go to court, as soon as the "evidence" is shown it becomes something you can copy for the sake of putting on the news or whatever.

"But analysts categorically disagreed with that viewpoint last week. SCO is not trying to destroy Linux, said DiDio of the Yankee Group. That's silly. This is about paying royalties."

And learning how to swallow....****ers.

"SCO contends that by co-opting code from Unix, Linux has severely damaged SCO's intellectual property. According to some estimates, the company collected annual revenue of between $200 million and $250 million on Unix System 5 software before the rise of Linux. After Linux reached the mainstream, those revenue figures dropped to about $60 million a year."

Umm. ONLY 60 million a year???????? This is really pissing me off. I know there a damned business...sort of. But **** of course they lost money when something just about as good and in some cases better comes along FREE.

"Because it believes Linux incorporates code that's been stolen from Unix, it has warned hundreds of companies to stop using Linux or start paying royalties."

And at this moment in time Bill gates experianced his first orgasm.

"Some companies, such as Sun Microsystems Inc., already pay hefty royalties to SCO for Unix. Two weeks ago, Microsoft Corp. joined that group when it agreed to pay royalties that were said to be significantly in excess of $10 million, one source said. Microsoft declined to comment on the details."

Microsoft?? get in on a deal thats trying to ruin Linux? NOOOOOO! NEVER!!!!!! HAHA yea they "paid roaylties" alright...why do i get that feeling this is all a fuking conspiracy? Declined details? What details? "yea you take it in the ass this week and next week I give the golden ass tickler and the spacey rim job"

"Facing a choice"

Do we say APRIL FOOLS!!!! yet? Or do we screw Microsoft and tell the world how they put us up to this? I'm about to make a choice too. I have an actual store bought UNIX CD...WHO WANTS A COPY? SEND A PM IF YOUD LIKE A BURNED COPY OF UNIX. **** i might get put in jail for it but anyone who knows me, knows that even if i do get put away for software piracy, before i get locked up ill at least make SCO look like the dumbest *******s on earth. HAHA, as soon as I was put on the stand so they could question me, all you would hear would be "OBJECTION!" lololol. How much **** is UNIX gunna cause?? they already had Free BSD in court over the same ****ing ****. DIDNT WORK DID IT?

"Many observers believe SCO's case is bolstered by the fact that it is represented by high-powered attorney David Boies, who prosecuted the Microsoft antitrust case and represented Al Gore in the 2000 presidential election vote-counting scandal."

HMMMMMMM sounds even more fishy...like herring...Time for Tux to eat it up now.

"If IBM wants to cure this problem, they could start by buying all the appropriate licenses and then paying SCO a billion dollars"

Wait.... All i need is a billion dollars to tell them to shut the **** up?

"But SCO now says that a billion may not be enough to cover their damages."

Or there asses if they ever come to Michigan.

"Users of Linux also face a decision about whether to ignore SCO's letters or pay for a license."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA tough choice, I think I already know my decision.

"Analysts said companies may face that decision as soon as June 13, the date on which SCO has threatened to terminate its existing Unix contracts with IBM."

Oh well, go to the BSD kernel.

"IBM, for its part, has said it doesn't intend to respond to SCO's threat. We believe our contact is perpetual and irrevocable, an IBM spokeswoman said. We've already paid for it, and there is nothing else we need to do."

LOL talk about tellin em to go suck a **** lolololol, I might buy an IBM Laptop or desktop just for that line lol.

"Whether the legal actions will harm Linux in the long run is still open to question, experts said."

Yea like..Damn Tux what you gunna do with all that money since SCO didnt GPL **** from YOU?

"An Anonymous Reader writes "Apparently someone inside SCO has stated that SCO(actually Caldera) copied Linux code into System V. They did it to build what they now market as Linux Kernel Personality - the ability to run Linux software on their Unix. Now, the open source community(of course they don't mention who) is jumping on this, because they didn't return the changes to the OS community or give the community credit. Of course, SCO says it's a misunderstanding and, get this 'SCO also never used any of the Linux kernel code.'"

Hmmm, I have A wide array of OSs, I have everything from BeOS to BSD to Linux To actual UNIX...I also have Caldera Linux...like i said before, lol who want some?

A final note from gore:

**** SCO.