Thread: Air conditioner Cooling Systems

Air conditioner Cooling Systems

I've always wondered, is it possible to use an air conditioner system to cool a computer?

What do you mean an A/C is to big lol. Or do you mean a room fan, you can put a room fan in it but your case has to stay open, but room fans just spead air around therefore making it cool just by 5* or 7*. But it's worth it if your cooling is poor.

Cya
    First you listen, then you do, finally you teach.
    Duck Hunting Chat
    VirtualConvenience
    RROD

If you mean using a something like a half ton unit I guess you could. Youd have to runa little small duct into the side of the computer.
    =

I've always wondered about something similar to that. I mean if it does'nt bother you, you could always either set your case with the panel off right in front of an air-conditioner, or like cheyenne said run a duct from one into the case. Obviously if you have kids that would present an eletrical shock hazard. I would imagine dust would be a problem aswell. I just stick with the most practical approach and have three extra fans running in mine. This is the brand i use: 80mm

In theory, you could use a/c to cool your computer. Or you could use thermoelectric cooling like they use in those travel coolers that plug into a car cigarette lighter. From my understanding it is a very thin material that by some process that i am not sure i understand either heats or cools depending on the polarity of the charge applied. So in theory you could line the inside of your case fans with it and the connect it to the power supply that you allready have right there inside your box since it runs off of 12v dc current anyways. You would still need a cpu fan and maybe a case fan or two to draw out condensation but other than that you would have a very effecient cooling system. I have seen this material keep a bottle of soda frozen on a 110+ degree farenhight day. The one thing im not sure about is how cost efective it might be. We (ZomBieMan77 and I) are in the process of looking into this now. When the final stages of development are completed, we will post the results here. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas, please contact ZomBieMann77 or myself. Thankyou.

Feel like getting your hands a little dirty?

Your AC works the same was as your fridge. Find a small A/C or a lil bar fridge and rip it apart... You only really need 4 parts... a compressor, an expansion valve and 2 coils (cooling and heating)... And of course.. freon... I have no idea how to control the temperature, the easiest way would prolly be to take the thermostate out of whatever you tear apart.. To do this you'd need one of those old beast server towers.. the ones that stand like 3.5 - 4 feet tall...

If the coils are too large, have them cut down, but this will affect your heat transfer and lower your cooling abilities... mount the cooling coil on the inside of the tower and the heating coil on the outside with the compressor attached at the bottom and the expansion valve at the top, throw in the stolen thermostat.. (make it look pretty if you want).. and boom yer done...

I'd suggest you cage in the heating coil, so you don't accidently burn yourself on it... and if you are going to be cutting or pulling apart any of the system... I'd suggest you take it to a professional and have the freon disposed of and then find a way to have it refilled.

[EDIT]

This will most definately heat up your room considerably

[/EDIT]

Have you done this HTRegz?? Thats a lot of work, and it's going to be loud!! I would just buy water cooling case http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...x=0&image1.y=0 hehe...
    Or go right to the source http://www.koolance.com/

Cya
    First you listen, then you do, finally you teach.
    Duck Hunting Chat
    VirtualConvenience
    RROD

Nope.. haven't tried.... That's entirely theoretic based on what I know about them.... I'm completely against case moding and any kind of computer mod...... for various reasons... (I think the time could be better spent doing real computer stuff).....

My roommate could prolly build it... He's the hands-on and i'm the theoretical. together we can do anything.... It's incredible the sh*t we pull off..

as for the volume.. that may be a problem, but it would only be a small encloser.. especially if you sealed in the compressor in it's own box (a few bends on a sheet metal brake would give you a nice box for it) and if you find a recording studio that's being redone.. u can pick up a piece of their excess soudn baffle for penny's..

If I wanted to air condition my computer I'd probably get and window unit, cut a piece of duct work to fit the vents then run it into the computer from the side. I would put a air filter somewhere in between the the ducting though.
    =

Banned
    When you use PC just turn on your room AC. If the temperature of your room stays low then it will be good for your computer. If you don't have AC in your room just contact with any AC company they can guide you better that which AC unit is perfect for you room.
    Last edited by white053; August 12th, 2021 at 07:48 AM.