Thread: Can I tell if a website changed?

Can I tell if a website changed?

There is a local chemical company that just bought land in a city our newspaper covers. One of our reporters swears that yesterday, she saw hazardous chemical information listed on the website, but today it is not there. The guy says the land is just an investment... we have our doubts.

So... is there a way that I can tell if the site was updated? are there utilities that I cant find? is there a simple way to do this that is eluding me?

Thanks in advance. I know that if anyone knows how to do it, this community would.
    just like water off a duck\'s back... I AM HERE.

for CMOS help, check out my CMOS tut?

It might be to late but, google might have a cached copy of the site. You might try that.

Cheers:
    DjM

DjM How can someone 2 get the cache copy of a site ?
    A.H.

I think the following site has a utility you are looking for:
    http://aignes.com/features.htm
    I have not used it but it monitors changes to websites and even highlights the changes made.

Cheers
    noODle

Originally posted here by ammar83
    DjM How can someone 2 get the cache copy of a site ?
    On google, you enter your seach string, when the results are returned at the bottom of an entry you will see something like this:

www.ssa.gov/ - 26k - 14 Jun 2003 - Cached - Similar pages

If you click on "Cached" it will take you to a cached version of the site which is stored on google, it doesn't take to to the actual site.

Cheers:
    DjM

DjM --> good suggestion, but i think i was too late. i may try some other archives... just a side note... the links on cached pages are often not valid and does not lead to a cached page.

noOdle --> another good suggestion, but it wont work retroactively, which is what i would need to catch these guys red handed. thanks for the link though, it will be used in the future!

thanks for the suggestions!
    just like water off a duck\'s back... I AM HERE.

for CMOS help, check out my CMOS tut?