Thread: Biometric Finger Print Authentication Technology

Biometric Finger Print Authentication Technology

I'm working on a web site for a company that distributes a new biometric type of technology. It's actually pretty neat. Basically it is a small device that plugs into your USB port. It will not allow you to logon to the computer without first authorizing yourself via finger print. Apparently you can secure your computer by not allowing access to certain files without the finger print authorization, and same goes for accessing the computer. Has some pretty cool features such as screen saver authorization and file encryption. All based on biometric fingerprint authentication.

I am in the process of creating a FAQ page, and I am not quite sure exactly what questions to answer. I figure what better way than to ask the many security experts here? So, before purchasing such a product, what type of questions would you ask? Also, in general, what type of questions would you have about this type of technology? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!
    An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure...

- I would be interesting in knowing if this might be something that might be integrated into BIOS after awhile. So then maybe a new stage of BIOS could be created when the computer is powered on, before anything is run in BIOS, that an option could be checked so that a user would have to be finger printed.

- What sort of software has to be installed to use this piece of hardware?

- Also you said that you could secure files using this security measure, what about applications? Having specific applications only able to be accessed by certian users. Kind of how NT 5 has the "Run As" feature, but I think this would be a bit more secure.

I think after you get this done you def will have to leave a link, I would be interested in checking out this hardware. Have fun writing up the FQA's ;-) Hope I helped somewhat.
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

I'd like to know what method is used to scan the fingerprint, laser, or is it a one time print taken of your finger that's read through normal light?? Which finger, index or thumb? The testing information. . .what's the accuracy, how often could it read wrong and allow unath'd access, or has it ever?? Yeah and a link would be really kewl.
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

That would be really cool if the technology could be integrated into the BIOS. At this time I do not think that it is. I know the software is compatible with Windows 98 and up. I've been bugging the manufacturer to supply me with the actual device so I can screen shot the actual software and mess with it. Hopefully they will hook me up soon. hah... As far as securing applications, I was told you can store multiple finger prints so that multiple users can have access to the computer. The information on the device said that it uses light emitting technology, but that doesn't really describe the technology well enough. The sales rep gave me a real long description of the technology. I can't remember the exact details (i'm going to have him type it up for me), but I do remember he said it is 3rd generation (the latest) biometric technology. And I believe it is a thumb print, but I am not sure if it is limited to only using the thumb.

Those were some really good questions. I appreciate all of your input. You can view the site so far at: http://67.153.115.63/. Like I said, the site is not completed yet, but what is there can give you a better idea about the product.

Anyone else have any good questions I should cover in the FAQ?
    An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure...