Thread: Congress of the USA.....Ultimate Hacker

Congress of the USA.....Ultimate Hacker

I read this artical just today.....scary.
    http://apnews.excite.com/article/200...D7RNPU600.html or
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...-2003Jun17.html
    (link should work now)

Senator Hatch :
    The chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee said Tuesday he favors developing new technology to remotely destroy the computers of people who illegally download music from the Internet.
    Altough:
    Legal experts have said any such attack would violate federal anti-hacking laws.
    And:
    "No one is interested in destroying anyone's computer," replied Randy Saaf of MediaDefender Inc., a secretive Los Angeles company that builds technology to disrupt music downloads.

"I'm interested," Hatch interrupted.
    Then:
    Orin Kerr, a former Justice Department cybercrimes prosecutor and associate professor at George Washington University law school.
    Kerr predicted it was "extremely unlikely" for Congress to approve a hacking exemption for copyright owners, partly because of risks of collateral damage when innocent users might be wrongly targeted.
    "It wouldn't work," Kerr said. "There's no way of limiting the damage."
    If congress passes such a law, where will it end. After rewiting the federal anti hacking laws, allowing legal hacks to distroy a private persons property.......what is next, un-licenced linux users?
    Anyone see anything good in this?
    Moxnix
    PS> or bad of course.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

and bush is the one ppl are scared of.
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a night.
    Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

The link to the complete article did not work for me.
    Can you check it out, I would like to read it.

(is it a 'pay' site ?)

Preliminary operational tests were inconclusive (the dang thing blew up)

\"Ask not what the kernel can do for you, ask what you can do for the kernel!\"

i doubt that it will ever get as far as "Destroying" illegal downloaders puters... because then most of the people online would be destroyed and the isps would lose money... for one... second p2p file sharing is growing and the riaa's lawsuits are failing...
    Learn like you are going to live forever, live like you are going to die tomorrow.

Propoganda

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    If they would just put cd burning kiosks in record stores. You could choose the tracks that you wanted and pay by what you ripped. It would stop groups like the rolling stones from releasing greatest hits albums and from having to buy a bunch of useless tracks to get one song. Then the p2p music sharing would stop.

It would also allow you to get one good track in the case of a widow or manager releasing tracks of their bereaved that the artist felt wasn't worthy of release (OH no it's Yoko ONO!)

The music industry sucks.

I'm having trouble getting cassette materials because the industry is frowning on it. Cassettes are perfect for my vehicle, somehow putting a quality cd audio system in my truck doesn't seem practical.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

cassettes are being phased out... no matter what though p2p will always exist... it is the nature of the internet... the sharing of information... just so happens that it breaks copyright law. the riaa has tried to put a stop to it... but there little attempts are being thwarted... part of the problem is the damage claims are like billions of dollars and they file them against poor college kids with no money...
    Learn like you are going to live forever, live like you are going to die tomorrow.

Propoganda