View Poll Results: Is it a good idea to filter EXE files from attachments?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 50.00%
  • No

5 31.25%
  • Don\'t Care

3 18.75%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux Vs Microsoft

Talking Linux Vs Microsoft

I was curious to people's views on the two.

My own personal opinion is that MS is a Piece of S... I do n't really like it.

I was raised on it and when I found Linux I t was like my Holy Grail. You don't control anything in MS. Which really sucks, I was just curious.

Not to mention XP.

So many of these Polls, So little time.

On one hand Microsoft is better because more people are familiar with it than Linux, and it is also more compatible with a lot of your programs. XP PRo did improve a little bit as far as stability goes but I still believe thatt Linux has microsoft beat.

On the other, I believe that Linux is a more stable OS. But it takes some learning if you've never used it before, but its a good OS to know.

I'd suggest to edit the poll to add an option like "like both of them"
    =

I realize you are new.... but I apologize.... I had to neg that..... It's a thread that we've seen 100s of times... and I know many of us are sick of seeing it... If you had read the faqs and watched the site for a little while... maybe even searched first.. you would have seen this...

Secondly you never justified your claiming that Linux is better than MS.... A claim which is completely Untrue..... I can do just as much and prolly a whole hell of a lot more with my XP install than you could dream of doing with your linux install..... Someone made the statement before it's like comparing apples to oranges..... give up the anti-MS **** people... like seriously... if you can make the OS work for you than you are the problem.. not the OS.....

My simple basis for stating that Linux is better then MS is simple based on a couple facts.
    1. Linux is free. (free)
    2. MS is rather expensive (200)dollars worth
    3. The average MS user uses it just for Internet access nothing else.
    4. The entire OS is written to limit the amount that you can do. Literally Microsoft released that the designed XP on the basis the it makes it harder for hackers to change things and at the same time when the do that they take away alot of your own control. Crap (fdixk)
    Try to use your FDISK on XP you have to go threw hell to change it.
    5. Linus might not be very user friendly but if you work at it after a while you will be ablr to manuver threw the system with ease.
    6. You have a great amount of resources provided in Linux.
    7. I won't even go deep into detail on the fact that if you are running anything before NT. Your
    system basicly has no security a Noobie with a book can get into your system.
    8. As everyone know that Windows believes in hiding things from people which is StOpid.
    9. I belive that is enough to substantiate my claim. Anyother questions on why I stated that post post them and I will reply. I could keep going on. But I will end there.
    10. But on the flip side if you are just using your PC net then yeah Windows is perfect very user friendly.
    But me personally I started learning about computers and hacking because I was curios still am. But I have no problem being lost for a while to be able to control more of my system.

Banned
    i dont really hate any of them ....every OS has it's good and bad sides ...

Originally posted here by whizkid2300
    My simple basis for stating that Linux is better then MS is simple based on a couple facts.
    1. Linux is free. (free)
    4. The entire OS is written to limit the amount that you can do. Literally Microsoft released that the designed XP on the basis the it makes it harder for hackers to change things and at the same time when the do that they take away alot of your own control. Crap (fdixk)
    5. Linus might not be very user friendly but if you work at it after a while you will be ablr to manuver threw the system with ease.
    7. I won't even go deep into detail on the fact that if you are running anything before NT. Your
    8. As everyone know that Windows believes in hiding things from people which is StOpid.
    9. I belive that is enough to substantiate my claim. Anyother questions on why I stated that post post them and I will reply. I could keep going on. But I will end there.
    10. But on the flip side if you are just using your PC net then yeah Windows is perfect very user friendly.
    But me personally I started learning about computers and hacking because I was curios still am. But I have no problem being lost for a while to be able to control more of my system.
    Ok..... here we go...

1. & 2. These are the same thing.. It's a cost difference. The cost has nothing to do with the quality of the operating system, on the liscence under which it was released.
    3. What are you basing this on?? This would be a better statement. "Many people user their computers for surfing the internet." I know many people who use computers (probably too many) and they do a hell of a lot more than surf the net. You have your hardware junkies who's only goal is to get the highest FPS possible on games. You have programmers and developers. I know many people that run Windows boxes entirely as servers. So don't just make a random claim and think it has some value.
    4. I haven't seen any control that's been taken away from me. I have complete access to modifying anything about my system I want in the registry, in the executables themselves and in other places.. you just have to know what you are doing. FDISK is a dos app...designed for FAT File systems, so of course it's going to have problems with NTFS drives, if you set your XP disks to NTFS... but Computer Management and the Disk Management gives you something to use in it's place, and their are work arounds for fdisk. Don't say changing something like that is hard on MS and then promote Linux because Linux also has things that take work to accomplish.. It all depends on how bad you want it.
    5. Who says you will.... I 've seen many people have problems with it, and at the same time I've seen people have problems getting around Windows. Hell if you install the newer versions of RedHat and Mandrake, they're almost completely userfriendly... Mandrake 8.1 even configured my DSL for me.. that's a long ways from when I was using RH 5 and had to do everything myself....
    6. Please Explain?? If you are refering to system resources that has nothing to do with your OS.. if you are refering to programs... You show me a *nix program and I'll show you a windows equivalent.
    7. Everyone says that.. Windows 9x had no security... you know what.. Who cares.. They also had nothing you could do to them... compare Slack 3 to Slack 8.. or RH 4 to RH 9... you'll notice the same things... Security increases on everything over time... I could take a Windows 95 box and disable file sharing and there'd be almost nothing you could do to it, beyond exploits.. and hell every OS has exploits...
    8. And stuff isn't somewhat hidden on Linux?? There's documentation for both available.. all you have to do is read the documentation... That's the problem.. you figure Windows is a joke so you never read any documentation but then when you start running Linux you need to have documentation to figure it out.... So you just assume Windows doesn't have the same stuff because you never looked at it's documentation.
    9. You haven't substantiated any claim yet.. but good try. If this is your attitude then I suggest you leave, because I for one don't want you around.. The entire idea of security requires you to have an open mind and apply new concepts.. yet you've already got an incredible bias.. I don't blame you.. it's the bias that most script kiddies have because they can't figure out how to run their kod.c in Windows... so Linux must be better.
    10. If you don't have full control over your Windows system, then don't bother moving on to another OS.. because you are just waiting your time. I could show you more about computers and security on a Windows machine.. than you could ever hope to learn on your Linux box..

I suggest you grow up and lose the MS Sucks attitude because as you have proven.. you have no reason to hate MS.. you seem to know nothing about their OS....

An addition to HTRegz' comment on #8: go to your home directory and type 'ls', then type 'ls -a'. Go to your home directory in Konqueror, then go through the menus 'til you find "show hidden files and folders" (I believe it is in view). Linux hides files just as much as windows.
    Preliminary operational tests were inconclusive (the dang thing blew up)

\"Ask not what the kernel can do for you, ask what you can do for the kernel!\"

1. Linux is free. (free)
    Oh you dumb ****.

"Windows is expensive...200 dollars" And? So is Red hat Linux.

"4. The entire OS is written to limit the amount that you can do. Literally Microsoft released that the designed XP on the basis the it makes it harder for hackers to change things and at the same time when the do that they take away alot of your own control. Crap (fdixk)"

its only limited if you dont know what your doing it which case take your computer and shove it.

"5. Linus might not be very user friendly but if you work at it after a while you will be ablr to manuver threw the system with ease."

My ass, if mandrake was any easier to install it would give you a ****in hand job while it was installing.

"7. I won't even go deep into detail on the fact that if you are running anything before NT. Your
    system basicly has no security a Noobie with a book can get into your system."

Anything before NT was NOT multi user, there fore no one can "get in" to your system unless you open a trojan.

"8. As everyone know that Windows believes in hiding things from people which is StOpid. "

because of people like you whod **** it up and call tech support. **** man get a Mac your making us look bad.

"9. I belive that is enough to substantiate my claim. Anyother questions on why I stated that post post them and I will reply. I could keep going on. But I will end there."

Prolly because you have no idea what your talking about. EVERY OS is as good as the person running it.

" But on the flip side if you are just using your PC net then yeah Windows is perfect very user friendly.
    But me personally I started learning about computers and hacking because I was curios still am. But I have no problem being lost for a while to be able to control more of my system."

Yea remember now, Linux is actually multi user, so hope YOU are the only one in control if you can get it online.

"3. The average MS user uses it just for Internet access nothing else."

Actually Microsoft Office is used by millions of companies and so is Windows.

Re: Linux Vs Microsoft

I was curious to people's views on the two..
    Originally posted here by HTRegz
    I realize you are new.... but I apologize.... I had to neg that.....

Secondly you never justified your claiming that Linux is better than MS.... A claim which is completely Untrue.....
    Hmmmm. . . . . let me think about this. . . . . someone is negged for his opinion. Mmmmmmm. :::sighs::: Give the guy a break. We cant expect these new members to know every single point about AO before they post. Can we? Hmmm? And HTRegs. . . it is his own opinion that Linux is better than MS. Opinions are like *******s. Everyone has one. And some of them stink. But thats his choice. He dosn't need to argue with you about his opinion. This is just starting to turn into a flame. So don't let it.

edit: That includes you too Gore!
    "Never give in-never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy!" - Winston Churchill

DONT RUIN MY FUN DAMN IT!!!!!!

Rowgy we gotta have SOME fun