Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Security using Caller Line Identification

Use the Call-back technique..
    the server is requested to connect, it hangs up and dials a stored number, if the other machine answers you know it's the right terminal and you can drop of a session key or what not
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

Originally posted here by tolstoy

I would not be that reluctant to set up a RAS server. It does sound like what you are looking for, and as far as I remember, you can encrypt the traffic between the two end points. RAS can be insecure, but so can everything else. The point is to know exactly what you are doing before implementing your server. If you are a fairly security consciuos person and do all the necessary homework before rolling out a RAS server, you should have some success.
    Another argument to this is why use a RAS server and pay for toll calls when you can use an existing internet connection at no additional cost.

I also don't buy the argument that a everything has it's weaknesses, so why not use a RAS server even with it's security limitations. No offense, but anyone who truly knows about would tell you that the goal of security is not to eliminate every potential vulnerability, but to simply minimize risk. Of course nothing is perfect, but some solutions are clearly better than others in terms of security.

Thanks for that Tolstoy. It is going to be a stand alone Server with Internet access from a completely separated PC so I think PCAnywhere is going to be the choice.

Thanks to everyone for their replies, and I'll probably be back.
    \"Multiple exclamation marks are the sign of a diseased mind\"
    Terry Pratchett