Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 2000 SP4

The Iceman Cometh

Windows 2000 SP4

For those of you who are running Windows 2000 on your home machine, or administer a network of Windows 2000 boxes, SP4 was released today (a week behind schedule). I know that some of you are wary about installing a service pack until it's been tested, but, having gone through the beta from the start, I can attest that it's definately much more stable than other, previous, service packs. As usual, all you have to do is install this service pack, as it includes all other service packs, as well as all security and other updates released since the last SP. Below are two links to download it.

Windows 2000 SP4 - Full (130 MB)
    Windows 2000 SP4 - Express (Web Install) (600 KB)

AJ

Hrmm. M$ hasn't had the best luck with even numbered service packs.... I won't hurry to install it until I don't hear horror stories.

I'm sick of crossing my fingers when installing M$ "fixes".
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

I'm sick of crossing my fingers when installing M$ "fixes".
    I hear that....

I'm surprised I didn't see that when I was updating new machines today... sp3 is huge... let alone the 36mb of pre-sp4 updates...

Thanks for the heads up! Maybe I'll put it on the new machines and test em for a couple of weeks b4 I update the rest...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Wow that's a real big service pack. Am just hoping when I do decide to instal it something weird doesn't go wrong and my PC gets stuck.

I have been constantly burnt by these service packs leading to a full reinstal in the past. I hate when that happens...
    - The mind is too beautiful to waste...
    Cutty

I will test it on a test machine before installing on my network. Its weird that service pack 4 is not mentioned on the Win2k site http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/ or in Windows Update. Did you get the link from the NTBugTraq posting?

Its not mentioned here also: http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...ks/default.asp
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Re: Windows 2000 SP4

Thx avdven i was waiting for this one.........no more pre sp4 manual updates safes me some time!
    i m gone,thx everyone for so much fun and good info.
    cheers and good bye

I agree. I'm going to test sp4 before rolling it out to 100 computers. I'll wait for other people to report the problems and until sp4 is on the critical updates page.
    \"I have not failed. I\'ve just found 10,000 ways that won\'t work.\" - Albert Einstein

Some interesting points for the paranoid in the service pack 4 eula:

a. Windows Update Features.
    Under the Software's default configuration, if you connect
    a device to your Computer and the correct device driver is
    not available on your Computer, then Windows Update
    features on your Computer (including Device Manager
    and the Plug & Play CDM Module) automatically attempt
    to check Microsoft computer systems via the Internet
    for the correct device driver. Having this happen
    automatically makes Plug-and-Play installation of
    new hardware a better experience for customers.
    You may switch off Windows Update's automatic driver
    checking feature.

hmmm... so now MS thinks that it should check for the drivers without asking?

b. Consent to Use of Data.
    You agree that Microsoft and its affiliates may collect
    and use technical information gathered as part of the support
    services provided to you, if any, related to the Software.
    Microsoft may use this information solely to improve our
    products or to provide customized services or technologies
    to you and will not disclose this information in a form
    that personally identifies you.

What do they mean by technical information? This sounds almost XP'ish in tracking hardware changes.

And I have done 3 upgrades and no problems yet. (All SP3 to SP4, no clean installs)
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

And the official release from Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...p4/default.asp

I just installed SP4 on a clean installation in a VMWare W2K Server which was clean and it was perfect...
    My other Computer is a 4000 node Beowulf Custer