Thread: Email spammers help

Email spammers help

since i have held my site up www.rageforgames.com
    i have gotten lots of freakin ****-ups i'd say asking to view webcams and perverted **** like that. the thing is i have delt with the viral threats but this pervert spam is getting to me.
    to be frank, i am 13 male and have no intention of cyber sex ****
    i try blocking them but they get new emails addresses or new isps.
    is there somewhere possible to stop all this spam!
    any1 know of a really good effective spam blocker?
    thanks, i know this group gets this alot but all us newbs REALLY appreciate it

Talking Fighting Unsolicited Email.

id244161013111,

There are a number of ways to fight spam. Server side, Locally etc... What type of email account are you having this problem with? A free account? One affiliated with your hosting plan.

1. You might contact your email provider and ask them about filtering of junk email.
    2. There are various programs that hookinto Outlook Express, Netscape to filter out unwanted mail...
    3. Try looking for "Unsubscribe" Links in these emails you are receiving, You may deem them unsolicited but they could be as a result of you opting-in to third party email lists.

One thing that has been a bother on my end with spam is, Alot of these spammers are using unsubscribe links that DO NOT belong to them. So essentially you are unsubscribing to a list you were never enrolled in. One way i try to help turn the tide on unsolicited email is by using

http://www.spamcop.net

You can activate a FREE account with them. You simply paste in the header and body of the email and they have an automated system that will process the information, weed out the necessary attributes of the email. And even determine and send complaints to the People who host the website etc..

Another option which is much easier is they allow you to forward the emails to a special address which is alot easier than pasting into the window. check it out. But make sure the spam you submit is legit... You may think it spam but it may not qualify. Try the remove links for now and see if that decreases the amount of unsolicited mail you receive. Then try spamcop. You should probably read a little about mail-relays and things so that you can identify emails sent using open proxies and such.

Firstly.....Are you using a 'Firewall' ?
    If you are; then start blocking ALL ports, except for those you wish to use.
    (Email is ports 25 & 110. Web is 80. FTP is 21.)
    Good luck

Okay....I just visited your site. You are running an email server ..... which of course needs ports 25/110 open. Maybe you should try 'MailEnable' email server. It includes 'spam blocking'

Works for me.

i didnt understand... how can blocking all ports help u save from spam mails....

Firewall would continue to enable SMTP services and ports....

Hence recommended to install spam filters on the mail server.... it may devoid u of some legitimate mails also... if they happen to be in the spam list.....

Define a clear cut mail usage policy and guidelines... Technology alone cannot give a solution technology has to be backed by relevant policies, guidelines and procedures.....

There are many tools as rightly pointed by our friends earlier to stop those annoying mails.. But also check the cookies.. I heard that lot of people spam u through ur cookie.. I quite am not sure how that works.....

Maybe someone could verify the same.....

Regards

Kalp
    ****** Any man who knows all the answers most likely misunderstood the questions *****

BlackListing.

Hello,

I am not quite sure about spamming by use of cookies but, policy wise i can again reccommend spam cop....

SpamCop (Or any other blacklist) maintains a blacklist of IP addresses which have been confirmed to be openrelays. I reccommend spamcop because they are a very large list of these addresses.

Read more about this list and how-to implement it here:

http://spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/291.html

By adding this list to your mailservice you will be blocking real-time every address in the list that has been known to be abused, whether it be an

Open-Relay: http://spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/272.html
    Socks Proxy Server: http://spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/278.html
    HTTP (web) based proxy: http://spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/269.html
    Script/Form Being Abused: http://spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/270.html

No matter the method to send spam. Most legitimate email is not sent directly from a users address, ex:

Normal mail sending proceedure would look like:

user.broadband.att.com > Mail.attbi.com (att's mail server) > mail.rageforgames.com > yourbox

Spammers often use legitimate servers BUT alot of the time use broadband machines running mail server software that allows ANYONE to send mail through it (Open-Relay) it will relay mail. Spammers find these and quickly exploit them to send mail. ex:

1.spammer.aol.com > 2.user.broadband.att.com (relay) > mail.rageforgames.com > yourbox

Step 2 leaves no trace of the spammer which for him is what would be best.

The blacklist (to wrap this up) maintains a list of machines untrusted because of relaying. So probably about 80% of the spam you receive will be from these types of machines. The blacklist in effect will block alot of these mailings before they ever reach your mailbox. No legitimate mail will be lost because spamcop has a long process to ensure that these addresses listed actually do relay spam.

Most mail does not come directly from the user so you wont be missing legitimate emails anyhow. Spamcop or others. There are many blacklist services out there........

If you do not have control of your mail server (Your website is on a hosting plan) and do not have administrative priv's on the machine then contact the admin and let him know about the problem you are encountering and that it is giving you a bother, They are providing a service why not reach out to make it enjoyable and worth what you paid for.

Something to help you and mabye give a few tips to anyone else who stumbles accross this post. Keep me posted on your battle with unsolicited email...

-Matt Chambers

Well since you metioned that this has been going on since your site has been up, I imagine you placed a link to your e-mail on your web page and now all the nasty spam-bots have spidered it. Try editing your email link to read: Yourname_NOSPAM@yourHost.poo and instruct anyone mailing you to remove the _NOSPAM from your adress, this will trick all the automated adress harvesters.
    -Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

web links

That's a good idea about editing the link pposted on your web site. Another way is to post the link as a picture and not pasting an actual address. This is a pain for a business site, since you may want your customers to be able to just click a link, but you could turn this into a form without an email address. By pasting an email address as a picture; spiders won't be able to get that one very easy. Works great on a personal site.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Or you use use a perl/cgi script to submit a message typed in a message box directly from the website. Formmail.pl etc..