Thread: Corrupt XP? and the disappearing security tab?

Question Corrupt XP? and the disappearing security tab?

Hello everyone, I would just like to say I love to find answers on my own but I am really pressed for time over here and am wondering if some of you posters out there can help me… I had an XP box that lasted for 1.2 years with out badly messing up during that time (a record for me heh…) I ran a lot of applications and games also I tent to fill up hard drives pretty quickly so it was just a matter of time before something went horrifyingly wrong.

As a lot of the more experienced XP users know I started getting those damn C:\windows\system32\config\system missing or corrupt errors. Then it just got so bad that windows wouldn’t boot up at all. “****! I SHULD HAVE BACKED UP EVERYTHING!” I screamed in dismay. People start to think you’re on crack when you take out your aggression on inanimate objects such as a keyboard. Anyway for the people out there that are in charge of other peoples accounts, file rights and computer software settings it’s a real BITCH to input all that **** all over again grr! I used the recovery console to replace the file with a non-corrupted one but then I found myself looking at a BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!!!! I was not going to spent anymore time on this bull **** so I put in a new hard drive, installed windows again, made the old hard drive with the data on it a slave and set up everything.

I rushed the install because I had to go to work soon. Now with the new install when I right click a file the security tab is not there? I formatted the partition as NTFS so what gives??? And the other day guess what happy little message greeted me at boot up for ****s sakes C:\windows\system32\config\system missing or corrupt. I have not seen it Lately so i dont really know what to make of it? The little I do know about this error from hell is replacing the files doesn’t always fix the problem and its somewhat of a mystery in the windows community what really cusses this…?

P.S.
    I like to use Linux and windows so don’t waste posts on telling me change to *nix also its not a virus I scanned EVERYTHING!!

PP.SS.
    I know about attrib and i dont think its a hardware thing so any other ideas could really help me out thanks….

hmmmmmmm.....

Do you have user accounts already set up? If you don't then there might be some kind of slight, remote possibility that it won't give you a security tab since theres nothing to secure it from.

That might be wrong but its my best guest.
    =

The Recidivist
    I didn't know that XP even had a blue screen of death. You must have to work hard to get it.

hjack
    "Where the tree of knowledge stands, there is always paradise": thus speak the oldest and the youngest serpents.
    - Friedrich Nietzsche

Cool grr arg???

Thanks for your commentary guys… Yes, all my accounts were set up so I’m guessing that I didn’t pick an option during installation? Also there are blue screens of death in XP. Come on man, your telling me that you have never seen a blue screen in any NT basted windows system??? You got to be shitting me heh. Thanks again and if you got any ideas post ’em!

This seems weird to me. Thts as far as I can help you right now. IF I think of something else I'll post it. SorryI couldn't help you anymore.

P.S
    If you do get completely stumped by this and are completely outraged, and angry with Windows, I find that going to a command prompt and typing format c: helps me to settle my anger. Then of course reinstall and try it again.
    =

Talking ahahah yes! i found it!!!

OOOOHH YAAA!
    i got this from http://www2.goldfisch.at/knowledge/241

With my new mobo i get no errors now and

oldfisch.at-knowledgebase (by peter pilsl)

Windows XP: no security tab

keywords : windows xp winxp security permissions ownership

i had to take ownership of a directory in Windows XP
    but there was no security tab.

MS Knowledgebase Article Q308421 says:

if you are running Windows XP Home Edition you have to start in Safe Mode (F8)

if you use Windows XP Pro you must disable Simple File Sharing which is the default filesharing mode
    when not joined to a domain (Q307874):

1. Click Start, and then click My Computer.
    2. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.
    3. In the Advanced Settings section, clear the Use simple file sharing (Recommended) check box.
    4. Click OK.

marcus at (updated 2003-06-08)

serial : 241

If you found any nonsense in this entry or want to see important improvements, I would appreatiate to receive your comments at knowledge@goldfisch.at

disclaimer : all these entries are part of my very private knowledgebase that I created while solving problems. Many solutions are taken from other webpages or from usenet. There is no warranty for this entries of course. Some of the articles are even stupid and one day you might even find the name of my prefered pizza-service in here, cause I always forget about it. Remember : This is my knowledgebase. If you need professional support and are willing to pay for it just email me at pilsl@goldfisch.at

-------------------------------------

so all is good... FOR NOW!?!?!?!?!