Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows hanging

It's a gas!

Windows hanging

I know this aint security related but what the hell i need advice.

A friend of my g/f is having a few problems with Windows 98.
    Whenever Windows has loaded, if she tries to open any application the pc crashes and just hangs there.

From what i know the pc goes through the POST fine and then continues to boot.

She hasnt installed any new h/w or s/w, but incidently the problem has only occured after moving the pc from one location to another.

I havent had a look at the pc myself yet but im suspecting its the OS, which a format and reinstall should sort.

Any of you guys have any other ideas on this one?

Cheers

r3b007

Banned
    My system actually had a very similar problem after a move as well, turned out the drive got damaged. For a few weeks the system would lock up randomly and I'd smack the case to get it started again. Eventually the drive died completely and I was required to replace it.

I am not sure what level of auditing WinSUE has, but I suspect the problem is similar. Despite what people think, unless you make changes operating systems don't just randomly start crashing. They crash from one of four main problems:

1. Device driver problems
    2. Memory leak build-up
    3. Damaged disk drive
    4. Hardware overheating

If you have not installed anything new or changed the device settings, #1 is out. If the system is just booting it has not had time for #2. This leaves only the hardware issues, it is unlikely the system has had time to get too hot so #3 is out.

catch

first I'd check to make sure she didn't jar anything loose in the move: cables, cards, memory, etc.

then I'd boot to safe mode, see what happens and run scandisk. Maybe the drive got damaged by a sudden drop she doesn't want to tell you about
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

It's a gas!
    Thanks for the prompt replies catch and IKnowNot.
    I was thinking it was too much of a coincidence that the box was working fine before but after the move it wasnt.

Anymore suggestions?

Maybe the drive got damaged by a sudden drop she doesn't want to tell you about
    Sounds to me it's the drive as well ... does'nt have to be dropped though to get damaged ..the moving alone could of triggered what was ment to happen in some time...the moving just quickened the process ..me thinks

Or else you can follow the advice that IKnowNot gave and boot in safe mode and see if windowze still hangs.

Ps: There are some nice forums related to hard & software problems for win98 at Annoyances

My two cents..

C.
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

Hello r3b00+,

If you have a diagnostic software, try running some diags on the Hard drive. Since the lockup usually happens inside Windows, I suggest you may try running:

1) Run SFC
    2) Scanreg /fix and Scanreg /restore at command prompt.

Cheers

It's a gas!
    Thanks again all for the suggestions.

Appreciated as always!

r3b007

Also could be the video card.
    Sounds like a driver issue. (mouse, videocard etc)
    See if it behaves the same way in safe mode...if not it is a driver issue.
    If it still crashes could be hard drive....or one of many other hardware failures.
    GG

Check the optical drives. I have had several bad problems with some opticals that decide all of a sudden they don't want to be slaves any more or that they don't like windows any more. Check the jumpers on the drives and try switching them, master>slave and slave>master, if there is only one in there, try removing it. I remember one occurrence, with windows 98, that it would not even enter the POST at all as long as a particular cd burner was connected as a slave under a master. This is even after the pc worked normally, cd burner was installed approximately a month before this started happening. So check the optical drives, even remove them completely, might help.

er0k
    Originally posted here by Alexzel
    Hello r3b00+,

If you have a diagnostic software, try running some diags on the Hard drive. Since the lockup usually happens inside Windows, I suggest you may try running:

1) Run SFC
    2) Scanreg /fix and Scanreg /restore at command prompt.

Cheers
    woah.. mah big sis posted