Thread: How mails sent thru anonymous proxy servers be traced out?

Question How mails sent thru anonymous proxy servers be traced out?

Hi,

If someone sends a mail thru an anonymous proxy server listed
    in different sites , will it be possible to trace them out.
    How it can be traced out ?
    anybody knows abt this ?
    I want to find out who sends mail from where?

bye
    one and zero

I hate to do this, but I'm going to cite Carolyn Meinel's "Guides to (Mostly) Harmless Hacking".

The one on fighting spam (usually generated from supposed "anonymous" mailers) should be of particular interest:

http://www.happyhacker.org/gtmhh/vol1no5.shtml

If this isn't enough, or if you need specific help, let me know.

--PhirePhreak
    I know you\'re out there. I can feel you now. I know that you\'re afraid. You\'re afraid of us. You\'re afraid of change. I don\'t know the future. I didn\'t come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it\'s going to begin. I\'m going to hang up this phone, and then I\'m going to show these people what you don\'t want them to see. I\'m going to show them a world without you, a world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.

Re

Hi,

Thanks for ur reply. What i meant is , if someone tries to hack my machine thru anonymous
    servers how they can be traced out.
    If i get their IP address, which is the anonymous server..is it possible to trace them out.
    I didnt mean it as a spam.

bye,
    1&0

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I want to find out who sends mail from where?

These might help. If they are trying to send "anonymous" email, reading the email headers could get your their original email address.

http://www.stopspam.org/email/headers/headers.html
    http://www.icgroup.com/headers.html

If i get their IP address, which is the anonymous server..is it possible to trace them out.

Now, your second question is how to deal with those who attack you from "proxied" sources. To be honest, I don't know of anyway to go after this individual unless they provide a connect that you can access (victim --> attacker) where you get access on their machine. You would need the proxying service to provide that information (which they may or may not keep).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

If you use NeoTrace, it will show you nodes and IP addresses where the attacker's connection goes through...i'm not too sure if this could help but its worth giving it a try and checking all those locations....maybe i'm wrong. GL
    [gloworange]\"Imagine a school with children that can read and write, but with teachers who cannot, and you have a metaphor of the Information Age in which we live.\" — Peter Cochrane[/gloworange]