Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Music Sharing Program is Safe?

Banned

What Music Sharing Program is Safe?

Due to the RIAA actions lately, i've become to wonder which file sharing program is really safe. I also want one that many people use. I usually just use Kazaa, anyone have any ideas?

Well there really isn't a P2P program thats *safe*.

Whenver you download off of a program like that then you risk downloading a virus or trojan into your computer. If your using Kazaa I'd be careful, as all of the lawsuits taking place for poeple downloading copyright material.
    =

None. In the current form your IP can allwyas be traced by someone downloading from you. You also will never know that what you are downloading is relly what you wanted.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

Yes, whenever you are downloading from someone, or they are downloading from you... you make a direct connecting through the Internet between the two said computers. Therefore if someone was connecting in, or you were connecting into them... they'd know your IP address in seconds. There's no real way around it either. Because if you use a proxy server, 9 chances out of 10 you won't be able to use any of that software because your computer will be too "hard to find" on the Internet.

Yeah there is no real "safe" P2P software, because you don't know the person you tyically download from, and there is no real way to make sure you can keep yourself protected against all the newest viruses out there (but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try).

In general, P2P software is a health risk to your computer; sorry to say!

Just a thought...
    ~AciD
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

well, aside from the viral issues and back to the RIAA, I read at one time that 'Blubster' is dubbed 'safe' because it uses UDP to transfer 'high quality' music online. Um, I don't know how reliable this UDP transfer is, its bad enough with TCP, but whatever they say.... You can't hide from people if they are a large corp or organization and have lots of money and seem to be doing quite well in the courts very well. (its possible, but they tend to find ppl no matter what these days....) I agree with what the RIAA is doing, to a point. (I know, its slightly off topic, sorry). As a musician, I know its hard work to make songs, so those ppl who are distributing it across the world should be stopped IMHO, however, I think its fair to 'test' the music first to see if its worth buying. But then again, $150 000 a song, the lawsuit just ain't worth the risk to me.

But yeah, for now, as long as the RIAA is sueing ppl like crazy, I think its wise to keep a very low profile, lol. I still use Kazaa, but I download other stuff than MP3's (like drag racin videos and pics of nice, nice, super nice cars.) But check out Blubster if you want, I think it even has its own MP3 organizer and player too, its designed specifically for MP3 transfer. It said something like you can't be found out because the UDP packets don't broadcast your IP the same as TCP does, though I kinda doubt this a little, just a little.

Dave
    Alcohol & calculus don't mix. Never drink & derive.

One thing that might stop the RIAA is an option in KaZaA.

If you go to options on kazaa there is an option on it that that you can check that says
    "Do not file share with other users".

I don't know if that will keep you away from the RIAA seeing you... it should keep them more away from you... but the RIAA is going after the users with the biggest song librairies.

but as all of them said there is not "safe" one.
    Also kazaa has so many users your like a piece of salt.
    [glowpurple]NooNoo\'s [/glowpurple]

Banned
    well yes, when u use a program like that, u do run the risk of the other person getting into your computer or anything, but does anybody know which programs the record industry are singling out? or are they look at a variety of programs? i heard it was just kazaa, morpheus and imesh

Yeah but if it works with the big ones, and with as greedy as them seem (in my opinion)... I think anything that is P2P related will be targeted.

Just a thought...
    ~AciD
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    [/shadow]

Old Fart
    The good news: There is a file sharing program that keeps your IP hidden... www.blubster.com

The bad news: It comes bundled up with GATOR, which means that you have to run Spybot Search & Destroy after you install it.

Rumor has it that the latest version of Kazaa Lite also has built in features to keep you hidden.

Hope this helps!!
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Thanks for the tip allenb1963!

Though as we have all said about using proxy servers and such, if you pay enough money and have enough man hours to search through logs, you can trace anyone. So truly you are never safe (which is the scary thought).

I'm just rolling with the punches on this one...
    ~AciD
    [/shadow]