Thread: UPDATE - Biometric Fingerprint Scanner for PC

UPDATE - Biometric Fingerprint Scanner for PC

I posted a thread about a month ago discussing this. Here is an update for people that found this technology interesting.

Background: I started working on a web site about a month or so ago. It's basically a web site that is selling a brand new piece of hardware. It's a USB Biometric Fingerprint Scanner for the PC that is used to secure a computer from unauthorized entry. It can also be used to encrypt files using your unique fingerprint.

In my previous post, a lot of you gave me some good ideas for the FAQ page. Now the site is pretty much completed. I think it has some pretty interesting info on this technology.

I'd appreciate it if anyone who finds this product interesting, to take a look over the web site and let me know of any additional info you might want on the product. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to sell the product to you. I would just like as much input from computer security experts as I can get.

Let me know what you think! Thanks.

Here is the address: http://www.biometriccomputersecurity.com/
    An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure...

that is a very nice site there. Too bad biometric technology is so easy to defeat.
    $person!=$kiddie or die(\"Alas, die you hotmail hacker!!\");
    SecureVision

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    I used to work for a VPN company and one of the authentication devices that we tested was a biometric scanner. The funny thing is that if you take a gummy bear, you can remove a print from the scanner and use it to make a viable print. We did a proof of concept for a federal branch who laughed when they heard the idea but nearly **** when they saw how a 50 cent bag of candy could be used to gain access to millions of dollars worth of research material.

The VPN company that used to work for is now pursuing retina scanning technology. I think that the gummi bear attack will have to be shelved on this one .

--my two cents
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Interesting about the Gummi Bear. About how long ago was this?

So far the most common thing I keep hearing is how easily defeated the fingerprint scanners are. But under the FAQ I made sure to state that this is third generation biometric technology. Uses light emitting technology as opposed to photo electronic, and semi-conductor. There is no way a gummi bear could fool this technology. I actually had a little fun and used a fake rubber hand just for kicks. Also tried various other fingerprints, and they couldn't get in.

This product seems pretty good.
    An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure...

Nice. But the problem is, when the first generation and second generation came out, there were no attacks against them until after about 6 months. So if the "third-generation" scanner lasts more than 6 months then maybe ill buy one.
    $person!=$kiddie or die(\"Alas, die you hotmail hacker!!\");
    SecureVision

Banned
    Nice clear web site, easy to use. slightly abit above my price range at the moment tho :'( cool looking gadget non the less.

Nightfalls_Girl