Thread: Suspcious???

Suspcious???

Hey Everyone,
    I wuz watching the news yesturday and I saw something very interesting... A new virus has come out, big deal right? Well, it wasn't the function of the virus that sparked my interest... It wuz how it was transferred... The virus is the "Bug Bear" virus... I'm no expert, but as far as i can tell, it is new to the cyber community. Here is the interesting part... Remember the RIAA and the HUGE warning that they gave out to all file swappers? Well, this virus is transferred to ppl through p2p networks.. and from what I have heard, file swappers are the only ones who are at risk... Doesn't this seem a little odd??? I mean, first they give out a HUGE doomsday type warning (This is the end of filesharing!!! MUAHAHAHA!!!!... excuse me... ) and then a couple weeks later... a virus is running rampant through p2p networks (kazzaa,morpheus,imesh...ect) Is it just me, or is there possibly some RIAA conspiricy going on???

Just think about it

The Recidivist
    Bug Bear is actually kinda old. October of 2002 I think. This might be a new variant but I couldn't find anything new about it.

This virus spreads via email and via network shares. It makes use of the Incorrect MIME Header Can Cause IE to Execute E-mail Attachment vulnerability in Microsoft Internet Explorer (v 5.01 or 5.5 without SP2). Simply opening or previewing an infected message in a vulnerable email reader can result in infection.

source: http://www.mcafee.com/anti-virus/viruses/bugbear/

hjack
    "Where the tree of knowledge stands, there is always paradise": thus speak the oldest and the youngest serpents.
    - Friedrich Nietzsche

Banned
    Umm.. here's some information on it: http://securityresponse.symantec.com...bear.b@mm.html

And no... I don't think it has anything to do with RIAA... probably just some little lamer got bored and made it....

Call me stupid (or ubercool, if you'd rather), but I was always under the impression that most of the popular file-sharing networks had always had a virus problem, particularly kazaa.

Was I wrong, and this is just a new thing, or, for once, am I right?
    I know you\'re out there. I can feel you now. I know that you\'re afraid. You\'re afraid of us. You\'re afraid of change. I don\'t know the future. I didn\'t come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it\'s going to begin. I\'m going to hang up this phone, and then I\'m going to show these people what you don\'t want them to see. I\'m going to show them a world without you, a world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.

Last I keep reading on AO we all always say about how virus run wild on any P2P network, that is why they are a big security issue to start with. And what news cast are you watching that is talking about Bug Bear? Are you sure you didn't misunderstand the person talking by chance?

~AciD
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

Nah, he's right, the RIAA are a bunch of evil conspirators. They released the virus to destroy the computers of innocent kids downloading music. The RIAA is evil. We should destroy them and their computers, whose with me!? Let's boycott the RIAA and burn them down! (I'll get the gas)

I am with The3ntropy on this one I will bring marshmellows and hamburgers Hahaha it will be one H3LL of a BBQ Muhahahaha

Cool Thanks

Hey Everyone,
    Well, there are alot of different opinions out there... which is good! To answer one question... ACID, I was watching Tech TV and nope,I don't think that I misunderstood... They were talking about how a virus (BugBear) is using p2p networks to spread itself...hjack, has got a good point though... It could be a new variant, which would make sense, because if it was old, why would it be making news? Unless, ppl aren't updatig their Norton or whatever else they use.... Yes, phirepreak, i belive p2p networks have always been a major gathering place for viri/torjans/other scum of the net... I remember that many ppl had troubles with morpheous, so yea, why should Kazza or anyother p2p be any different? About the RIAA writting a virus... it is possible, and it could happen... But proving it would be very hard, and on top of that... They have the finacial resources to take a fight in court a long way Yea, it is an interesting conspiricy theory.. it would definatly make a great movie!!! LOL!

*reaches for the camcorder*
    I know you\'re out there. I can feel you now. I know that you\'re afraid. You\'re afraid of us. You\'re afraid of change. I don\'t know the future. I didn\'t come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it\'s going to begin. I\'m going to hang up this phone, and then I\'m going to show these people what you don\'t want them to see. I\'m going to show them a world without you, a world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.