Thread: picking the right programming

picking the right programming

I've just gone out and purchaced "Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0" and found that it is not what i want. If anyone knows how to get it working so that i can just program into it plz tell me what ot do.

aultarnaltively does anyone know of any good (free!) c++ programs that are relatively small where all i need to to is just type codes in to a window, i dont want any of this object orientated stuff. Plz help!!!

You should be able to do that with MSVC. If you turn off the wizards, and don't use the MFC you can still write plain old programs.

Plus also using the MFC or ATL nonsense has a way of making your program look like a dog's dinner. Plus it's also not what M$ would want as they would want you to use .NET intead now

I would say either use MSVC without the fancy wizards (it does work!), or get MingW or Dev C++

Dev C++ is a Windows IDE which interfaces with the MingW compiler. It makes native Windows programs (that don't use nonstandard DLLs unless you tell them to) and is fairly small.

By "Fairly small" I mean it's smaller than MSVC. It's still probably a 30meg download or whatever.

I'd keep MSVC around even if you're not using it for compiling, because the documentation is useful (although the online version is ok)

Slarty

thanks a heap only one more little question:
    1. how do i disable like every thing with MS Visual C++ and
    2. Where do i get this dev c++ from?

As Slarty doesn't seem to have answered you yet (can only assume he's busy cos he's normally very good) Dev C++ can be obtained from

http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html

Sorry I can't tell you about disabling stuff in MSVC cos I don't have it. Hopefully Slarty or someone else will be able to.

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

Re: picking the right programming

Originally posted here by stunk
    I've just gone out and purchaced "Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0" and found that it is not what i want. If anyone knows how to get it working so that i can just program into it plz tell me what ot do.

aultarnaltively does anyone know of any good (free!) c++ programs that are relatively small where all i need to to is just type codes in to a window, i dont want any of this object orientated stuff. Plz help!!!
    First of all, C++ = Object Oriented

Are you talking that you want "just C" or do you just not like the "intelligence" behind MS' Visual C stuff?

Personally, I've done most of my coding on UN*X platforms or similar... just "me and a text editor," essentially. On Windows, you could probably use something like Cygwin with GCC. Else, find someplace you can get a shell account... they'll often have a C compiler (also typically gcc) for your use.
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

I haven't used MSVC for many years, but IIRC,

When you start the IDE, you can create a new "workspace" or "project". You need to create a new project. It then gives you a heap of options, you want to choose either "Windows Application" or "Console Application".

If you don't select "MFC app" "Dialogue box app" or any of the large number of other options, it won't create you any unnecessary code.

You should then get some sort of hello world style thing.

Note that if you're writing a Windows application (that's to say, one which creates a window), you need about 200-300 lines of code before you even do anything at all, that's the source code of the "generic app" program.

It can be trimmed down a bit but there's still a lot of red tape.

If you choose "Console application" however, it's straightforward, and you can just type in examples from Stroustrup's book (ignoring the bugs in M$'s STL implementation )

Ok, buddy....

I've used VC++ like my entire life and it's very simple how to avoid the excess headers and unnecessary source files.

-1) "FILE" | "NEW"
    -2) click the "files" tab
    -3) click "C++ source file" | type desired file name
    -4) Type code
    -5) F7 (build)

- The reason this works well is because when you do actually compile, VC++ makes a project/workspace automatically.

- Quite handy (be sure to include necessary headers )

scat
    If the scatman can do it so can you.

hi gyes ihave a little problem
    i want a c++ solutions for (c++ how to program) of deitle & deitle
    i'll be gratfull
    thanks