Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chosing a good programming language

chosing a good programming language

i have been wanting to learn to program for a long time now. i dont really know which language to start with. plz send your suggestions.

If you're just wanting to piddle around with what you can do with programming, I'll suggest a BASIC langauge for you like RealBasic, Visual Basic, and Rapid Q Basic. If you're wanting to get into the nitty gritty, which, I think, many of the people on the net do, I suggest a higher level language such as C, C++, or C#.
    I'm personally learning C at this time. If you'd like, you and I can learn together and share resources.
    Do you need a website that contains tutorials by chance?
    TinFoilHat Linux O.o who needs more?

learning and sharing resources together sounds good i was actually thinking about learning c anyway a site with tutorials sounds good send the link plz

http://www.programmingtutorials.com
    This site has links to many tutorials on assembly, C, and quite a few others, including VB. PM me with your AIM or MSN SN so we can keep in touch a little easier (since I'm planning on staying away from AO).

Banned

Exclamation Python

I have been trying to learn to program for the past 5 years.

Well, I know how to, but just very basic stuff.

After expirementing with several languages:

Perl
    C/C++
    Basic
    Python

I have concluded the best, and easiest to start learning with is Python.

Just my personal opionion.

To get python --> goto: http://www.python.org

Python is a high-level language, with a lot of power behind it. It's what google.com uses for variouse things. If I what I read was true....

Anyways, that's what I think.

I really never tried python. I'll have to look into that myself after I learn C and Java. Assembly wasn't the best of all languages to learn itself, then again, it's lower level language. Thanks for the tip on Python.

My first language was C, so I'm kind of partial to that one. Java's good too, but can be a bit lengthy at times...like how it takes 3 or 4 lines of code to set up to read something in from the command line to C's one (usually). But a cool thing about the more popular high-level languages are decently similar, so that a lot of the stuff you may learn in one, can be carried over to another. C/C++, Java, and Perl are like this, and I'm sure some others are as well. Those are just the ones I've played with.

alph

Thumbs up Python

I've used python for some basic website development and it's very simplistic and easy to learn. If you're interested I have a few links that'll get your feet wet.
    \"I have not failed. I\'ve just found 10,000 ways that won\'t work.\" - Albert Einstein

yea shure wend me some links.

I was searching around on the net and came across this language and compiler called "Dream Maker". Does anyone know any information on this?
    I was playing with Python earlier today for about 7 hours and I personally didn't feel like Python was for me, even though it was as simple and probably as powerful as you guys say.
    I still suggest C.