Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Programming Language

Programming Language

What is the best way of learning programming lanuage?

Also, what is BASIC, I mean I know it is the basic of programming language, but is it like HTML?

AO's Mr Grumpy

Re: Programming Language

Originally posted here by HunterGuy

Also, what is BASIC, I mean I know it is the basic of programming language, but is it like HTML?
    I could not give you an answer as to the best way of learning a programming language, I think it depends what suits you best, some people are self taught, and others may have learned at college or university, but like any language it has to be practised, for example reading HOW TO books, tutorials etc. will only be of benefit to you if you follow the practical excercises, no matter how tough or boring it may be. It's the only way to master something is by doing.
    As for the second part of your question, BASIC is a programming language, and I have given you a link to a site that will explain it, its history etc.

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/BASIC

Hope this helps you
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    jm459 is correct, there is no *best* way to learn a programming language as there are so many different learning styles. But if it is advice you are after I recommend taking classes. I've seen so many people take a "Learn c++ in 24 Hours" book...copy the example programs...and call themselves a programmer. That's just plain lazy. Then they move on to the more advanced topics and you see them asking questions that are covered in chapter 1.

Regardless of the language you pick, you can write all the code examples out of the book that you want, but unless you *really* read the chapters and understand the concepts...even if you have to read it several times over....you will never truly learn the language. It's my personal experience / advice that the best way to do this is to take a class. Taking a class helps / forces you to actually do the reading and study the concepts. Programming is a lot of building upon building...if you don't have a good grasp of the basic rules, syntax, logic, etc., you won't be successful.

Also, you may want to consider that while not all employers require a degree....it sure does help to have one. If you are considering taking the time to learn how to program then why not actually take the classes and earn your degree...you can even go for "certificates" in languages like c++....and a certificate or a degree always looks better to a potential employer than just having to take your word that you know how to program.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

yea, i think the best way to learn is by class. but school ain't till September. is there any good web tutorials or an application that guides you through? or any good suggestions on books?

AO's Mr Grumpy
    yea, i think the best way to learn is by class. but school ain't till September. is there any good web tutorials or an application that guides you through? or any good suggestions on books?
    As you do not say which programming language you are interested in, and not being into programming myself, I would refer you to the Tuturials Forum

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=133897

Where under the programming section, you will find many tutorials on various languages. This should keep you busy for a while , and possibly give you some idea of what's available and being used at present. The choice of language is of course up to you , and of course if you are going to school, you tutor or lecturer will be able to give guidance to you
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)

what programs do i need to do the QBasic Tutorial Chapter #1 from jethro?

but i am looking for a free program thingy that i can do the stuff from the tutorial.

AO's Mr Grumpy
    but i am looking for a free program thingy that i can do the stuff from the tutorial.

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/5967/qbasic.html
    This is only one of many

If you do a Google search you will find many other sites with tutorials, comilers, utilities etc
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)

thanks a lot.

how can i view my program with out the complier?