Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New KaZaA Worm!

Exclamation New KaZaA Worm

W32.HLLW.Gotorm is a worm that steals sensitive information from some video games and attempts to spread through the KaZaA file-sharing network.
    When W32.HLLW.Gotorm is executed, it displays the fake error message, titled "Win Zip Self-Extractor."

Type: Worm
    Infection Length: 196,608 bytes

Systems Affected: Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Me
    Systems Not Affected: Macintosh, OS/2, UNIX, Linux
    THREAT ASSESSMENT

Wild:

Number of infections: 0 - 49
    Number of sites: 0 - 2
    Geographical distribution: Low
    Threat containment: Easy
    Removal: Moderate

Visit
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com...lw.gotorm.html

for all the details.

BD]Hobbit
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=442
    You need people of intelligence on this sort of quest...

Yet another reason NOT to use Kazaa...

I wonder how many unsuspecting users this one will get?
    - Maverick

Probably more than anyone could keep track of. so glad I don't use kazaa

This does not surprise me any I have seen people download things off of Kazza and they don't even bother to look at the extension of the file. I hate to see how many people get infected by it

Kazza becomes a vector of propagation to more and more worms. But it is not really more rampant than on IRC or newsgroups during their gold ages. Factors of infections are always the same, for each of those mediums: credulity.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

Originally posted here by KissCool
    Kazza becomes a vector of propagation to more and more worms. But it is not really more rampant than on IRC or newsgroups during their gold ages. Factors of infections are always the same, for each of those mediums: credulity.

Very true, very true indeed.. Also, education of users is a factor - if there were more educated users out there who knew simply some basics of Internet/online/virus transmission, etc., we wouldn't have nearly the amount of problems that we do today.. But on the flipside of that, if there were more educated users out there, there may be more unemployed IT professionals!

Does that include kazaa clones such as Grokster? www.grokster.com

I havn't really heard of anything to dl music besides Kazaa. What do you guys use?

Use Kazaa - Get Antivirus - Update Antivirus Daily

So much of my extra consulting money comes from people coming to me after their computer recieved a virus that they downloaded from Kazaa. Oh well. I suppose it makes me money.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Originally posted here by Cybr1d
    Does that include kazaa clones such as Grokster? www.grokster.com
    I would figure that it would work just the same between Grokster, BearShare, Imesh, and the other thousands of file sharing programs that popped up lately. Didnt Napster give out the coding for the P2P thing right before they shut down? Well, if they did, that means most of the new P2P programs are running off of the same core coding, and would pretty much make them all target.

One can just use FTP servers to find what you want. It will take longer, and you will still need to scan stuff, but its better than having everything you download tracked by a system that is being hounded by the RIAA.