Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best C book for beginner

It's a gas!

Best C book for beginner

I posted this thread already in book reviews but this isnt displayed on the front page, ive tried deleting it but it wouldnt delete..........mods?

Anyways......
    Im relatively new to C programming.
    Ive read a few tutorials which touch on the various aspects of the language but not in any great detail and they havent been the most newbie friendly either.

I just wanted to know what C books members have read and how helpful they found them.

Ive did a bit of searching and have found a couple of recommended books but i want to hear what you guys recommend.

Cheers

C How to Program by Deitel and Deitel looks to me like one of the most comprehensive textbooks on the subject, but you'll pay a big price for it. At last glance Amazon had it for $85.00.
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Even though it's old I really found The Absolute Beginner's Guide to C to be quite good. Also, The C Programming Language, which also includes insight by the author of C to be helpful.

Note: I got rid of the dup thread.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

It's a gas!
    I just read a couple of reviews of this book which haven't been too good considering the price of it!

Have you read the book roswell and if so how did you rate it?

Im swayed towards The C Programming Language (Prentice Hall Software Series) by Brian W. Kernighan and Dennis M. Ritchie .

Its had lots of excellent reviews, anyone agree?

Just Another Geek
    Kernighan and Ritchie should be the ones that know the best. They 'invented' the language I also believe that's the one everybody uses as a school textbook. I must admit though I haven't read it myself but Prentice Hall makes great books.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

A Book on C

by Al Kelley and Ira Pohl

Starts out realy simple and gets realy advanced..
    also gives some info on going on to other languages from C (java and C++)

It's the book I started with !!
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

C itself is not on the cutting edge of NEW technology so why not go to your local library and take a few home and see
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

It's a gas!
    Not a bad idea, though whether they've anything worth reading is another story.

you could even request they bring a book in like the 85 dollar book mentioned above. Use it for 2 - 4 week. if you think its worth the money you can but it.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I will suggest that you grab any standard book like Dennis Ritchie's C Programming book or Deitels' "C How to Program". But, the key is how you move from there onwards because people tend to lose their interest with time or may be even try to rush. Best thing for you will be to go step by step. Don't skip the topics (otherwise they will follow you !) and write as many programs as possible. Start with simple programs as inability to write bigger programs can lead to frustration and suspicion. Small programs teach you nuts and bolts of programming language which you can wisely manipulate to write more "complex" programs once you feel confident.
    Things that don\'t kill you make you stronger !