Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will This Work

Banned

Will This Work

Ok, i'm trying to put some music and video files online but i want them protected. I found a site which has a disclaimer and i'm wondering if something similar to that will prevent me getting into trouble..

In order to download these files you must agree to the following terms:

1. If you don't own the episodes on tape or DVD, then you'll have to delete the episodes within 24 hours you have downloaded it, otherwise you are in violation with the law. We only offer the possibility to get a back-up.
    2. We will not be held responsible if any of the files cause damage to your computer. (Rarely happens)
    3. We will not be held responsible with what you do with these files after downloading them.
    4. If you are affiliated with any government, Anti-Piracy group or any other related group, or were formally a worker of one you can not enter this web site, can not access any of its files and you can not view any of the HTML files. If you enter this site you are not agreeing to these terms and you are violating code 431.322.12 of the Internet Privacy Act signed by Bill Clinton in 1995 and that means that you CANNOT threaten our ISP(s) or any person(s) or company storing these files, and cannot prosecute any person(s) affiliated with this page which includes family, friends or individuals who run or enter this web site.
    Will this protect me online if i put it before you enter into the media page?

1st Is that what you want protected legal or something ilegal?
    2nd For who would the files be (for you like a back-up or for friends to download or something)?

Anyways my solution would be to put it into a zip file and create a password.
    You will be able to upload the file but they would have to crack the file in order to see whats inside and I dont think they will violate the law.

Banned
    well i'm actually trying to do this for my site. I'll most likely be uploading music/eps/roms so they'll be illegal. I want the files to be downloaded by the users of my site but just dont want the wrong people to download them (ie: people that the content actually belong to).

(ie: people that the content actually belong to).
    Explain that a bit.....did you steal it from someone or what?
    And I would just upload the files if they are not too big
    One more question.....what site you using to upload them or you have your own server?
    Give a bit more info...

So, just so we're clear on this Bob, are you asking us to tell you how to protect yourself from people that your stealing from?

DjM

Hey DjM new users just crack me up sometimes lol
    and when AO members respond to them it's even more funnier...

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    scriptkidie18 -

Your Avatar is making me seriously seasick.
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

Banned
    lo yah, the quetsion is a little odd. Well a lot of people do upload music and stuff, and they are copyrighted material. What i'mt rying to do right now is to keep myself from getting into trouble from such groups as the RIAA. I'm just wondering if a disclaimer like that will protect me.

rename the files according to a number scheme. link a jpg image (screen shot) of the names and numbers into your web page this way bots cant find the names so the never show up in searchs. if your ambitious you can make individual imgs for each title and tie links to download. any mention of what the downloads are should only be shown as graphics. or you could email registered users the list...only if you know who they are but if someone drops a dime on what your doing your still screwed.

i think security by obscurity my do in this case. Set up a mailing list to your members with name as anchors for urls. keep changing the name of the directory that their in. use something like /g24w_321/. this way if someone is fowarding the list hopefully the links will change by the time it falls into the wrong hands.

M¥ 2¢

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
    I'm just wondering if a disclaimer like that will protect me.
    =+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

not a chance
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Tedob1's advice is very, very good and dead on , IMHO
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots