Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: can i stop M$N Messenger???

Question can i stop M$N Messenger???

i have a shared pc and i`m really tired of seeing my brother spending 8 hours a day talking bullshit anddownloading crap in my pc, so my question is:

is there any way to avoid msn messenger from being executed even if it is reinstalled??

i use win XP pro

If you have admin privalidges on the box couldnt you just deny him the right to use it under his account ?
    i dunno i have never used XP but in principal it should work
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

you could always get a firewall and deny access to the program... just an idea

i usezonealarm but the idea is he doesn`t know why messenger is not running, so i can tell: well i have no idea why it doesn`t work, uh how pitty!!

freejack, click start=>right click windows messanger=>properties=>security tab
    configure permissions for all accounts. If your brother hasn't got an
    account set one up by, click start=>control panel=>user accounts=>
    create a new account. Type new name=>click next=>pick an account
    type=>limited. I am pretty sure that this is all you need to do, i
    could be wrong, if so i will delete this post.
    Hope this helps. TidaL.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    If you want to get rid of it, go to this site and follow the instructions. This should put a stop to him.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_mess_disable.htm

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

sorrry but none of the above have worked so far....i still need help

Go to my computer, click on c or whatever your drive is called. Go to program files. Find the file named messenger and rename it. (you may have to go to task monitor and end the messenger service first to be able to rename it) The icons will still show up but they will not be active. This will make it look like something is just wrong with the program. This works fine until messenger is reinstalled.

Alternatively check out what m/s has to say:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;302089

Good luck.

you could always uninstall it

Old Fart
    Tell your brother to go buy his own damn PC because you are sick and tired of having him gom yours up with all the crap he is downloading. If this is your box then he should at least have enough respect to use it according to your guidelines.

Elsewise password protect your user account, setup a limited account for him and remove messenger from the shared folder so he cannot access it.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...