Thread: RedHat 9 and sendmail

RedHat 9 and sendmail

for some reason, during the initial startup of RedHat9... it hangs when it tries to load sendmail. I usually just do the interactive setup, say 'no' to sendmail, then continue. if i leave it hang, it'll take about 2-3 minutes for it to start up and continue... it did NOT do this when I first installed RedHat... any ideas??!

I run Redhat 9 with sendmail and it doesn't do that. You may want to remove it from the services and if you really want sendmail download it and compile it from sendmail.org.
    Luck--TSM
    Atlanta, GA

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar

Re: RedHat 9 and sendmail

Originally posted here by Plastic
    for some reason, during the initial startup of RedHat9... it hangs when it tries to load sendmail. I usually just do the interactive setup, say 'no' to sendmail, then continue. if i leave it hang, it'll take about 2-3 minutes for it to start up and continue... it did NOT do this when I first installed RedHat... any ideas??!
    Install Postfix instead - it's much better

Did you check your distribution media before you installed?
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

I have had the same problem on different distributions with sendmail doing that, and I have found that the delay occurs when sendmail is trying to figure out (resolve) the domain name. In the configuration file, there is a line towards the top with a comment "uncomment this and enter your fully qualified domain name if sendmail can't figure it out on its own"...loosely paraphraized...real loose. When I uncommented it and put my fully qualifed name in there, it when back to being a quick process at boot up.

haha... i got to thinking: i really don't even need sendmail running on there... so i just took it out of the startup scripts. thanks for the help though!