Thread: In MSBlast's wake, a DirectX threat

Banned

In MSBlast's wake, a DirectX threat

Microsoft seems to have survived the MSBlast worm attack, but now the company is urging Windows users to patch their systems against a different, and potentially more dangerous, vulnerability in its software.
    Wanna see the article : Yes No Maybe

To be fair to MS, at least they are releasing patches fairly quickly nowadays.

The problem with DirectX 9.0b is that you cannot easily roll it back if it doesn't work.
    Having said that, I applied it to my PC at home shortly after it came out (windowsupdate does flag this as a potentially serious security problem), with no problems.

yeah, but going thru the process of patching all the systems is a hell of a lot of work. Wish there was a better way.

rebmeM roineS enilnOitnA steve.milner's Avatar
    Okay so M$ realease patches quickly. Most business' have change management procedures that require adequate testing for the risk if the patch breaks.

Imagine if air traffic was controlled by a machine that needed patching daily!
    IT, e-commerce, Retail, Programme & Project Management, EPoS, Supply Chain and Logistic Services. Yorkshire. http://www.bigi.uk.com

steve.milener has a good point (having worked in the industry for 20+ years, I know what you mean).

On the other hand neither this nor LovSan should affect corporate systems anyway, so I only regard this as a serious threat to home PCs, and I would far rather MS told me about it rather than keeping quiet!

If a company doesn't have adequate protection in place to protect against these type of attacks (which does not involve patching systems on a daily basis), then it is time to hire a new Sysadmin

When will it all stop. More machines to patch. **** and they claim this one might be worst. I mean it's a lot of work to patch all the machines but when some people don't patch I end up with a slow connection for weeks and that sucks..

I hope this one falls through.

Guidance...
    - The mind is too beautiful to waste...
    Cutty